Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Grants, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Grants and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Grants:
- 35.15346, -107.850752
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Grants
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Cibola County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Cibola County
- Since Grants is near McKinley County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for McKinley County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Grants ...
We have found seven communities that share the name Grants.
Within New Mexico, the name Grants is unique.
Beyond New Mexico, we know of another seven communities that are located throughout in the United States and Canada. Of these seven communities, six are located in the United States and one is in Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Lafayette County
- This Grants is located in Lafayette County and lies 821 miles [1,321.3 km]<1> to the east of the Grants that is located in Cibola County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grants
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Lafayette County community of Grants.
- Litchfield County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Connecticut community of Grants [Litchfield County].
- Franklin County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Maine community of Grants [Franklin County].
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- This Grants lies 2,845 miles [4,578.6 km]<1> to the northeast of the Grants that is located in Cibola County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grants
- North Carolina
- Pamlico County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the North Carolina community of Grants [Pamlico County].
- Wayne County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the North Carolina community of Grants [Wayne County].
- Rhode Island
- Kent County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Rhode Island community of Grants [Kent County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Grants ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Alaska [Cibola County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Alaska
- Alaska [Cibola County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Grants
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Alaska have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alaska
- Bluewater [Cibola County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bluewater
- Bluewater [Cibola County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Grants
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bluewater have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Budville [Cibola County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Budville
- Budville [Cibola County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the east of Grants
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Budville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Budville
- Casa Blanca [Cibola County]
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Continental Divide [McKinley County]
- Harrisburg [Cibola County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harrisburg
- Harrisburg [Cibola County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the east of Grants
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Harrisburg
- Sand Corner [Cibola County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sand Corner
- Sand Corner [Cibola County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the west of Grants
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sand Corner have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sand Corner
- Thoreau [McKinley County]
How Far From Grants to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Grants to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Grants and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Santa Fe, which is the State Capital of New Mexico, lies 112 miles [180.2 km]<1> to the east northeast (ENE). If you could drive a straight line from Grants to Santa Fe, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 7 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 5 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,709 miles [2,750.4 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 98 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,224 miles [11,625.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,985 miles [12,850.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,907 miles [9,506.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a New Mexico Community
About Cibola County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Grants: www.cityofgrants.com/
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Grants) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Grants. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from GrantsOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Grants. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.1535, Longitude: -107.8508 |
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Grants could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Grants to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.151 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 326.484 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.87 degrees.||