Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Colonias, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Colonias and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Colonias:
- 35.109988, -104.847817
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Colonias
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Guadalupe County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Guadalupe County
- Since Colonias is near San Miguel County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for San Miguel County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Colonias ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Double Mills [Guadalupe County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Double Mills
- Double Mills [Guadalupe County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the east of Colonias
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Double Mills have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Double Mills
- Milagro [Guadalupe County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Milagro
- Milagro [Guadalupe County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Colonias
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Milagro have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Milagro
- Park Springs [San Miguel County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Park Springs
- Park Springs [San Miguel County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Colonias
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Park Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Park Springs
- Vegas Junction [Guadalupe County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vegas Junction
- Vegas Junction [Guadalupe County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the southwest of Colonias
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Vegas Junction have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vegas Junction
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Colonias. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Jesse Lawrence 'Nubby' Barnes (Major League Baseball)
How Far From Colonias to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Colonias to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Colonias and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Santa Rosa, which is the Seat of Guadalupe County and lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Colonias to Santa Rosa, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take four to five hours.
- Santa Fe, which is the State Capital of New Mexico, lies 73 miles [117.5 km] to the west northwest (WNW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 5 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,549 miles [2,492.9 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 61 days and walking would take 88 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,134 miles [11,481.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,891 miles [12,699.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,798 miles [9,331 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of New Mexico
About Guadalupe County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Colonias. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Colonias) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Colonias. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ColoniasOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Colonias. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.1100, Longitude: -104.8478 |
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Colonias to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 325.904 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 323.806 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.314 degrees.||