Welcome to Caballo ...
Caballo is located in southwest New Mexico.
Caballo is located in Sierra County<1>.
Caballo is 4,250 feet [1,295 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the altitude of Caballo is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Caballo lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The area code for Caballo: (575)
The ZIP code for Caballo: 87931<3>
Communities Also Named Caballo ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Caballo - it's located in Texas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Caballo.
Communities near Caballo ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Caballo.
- Truth or Consequences [Sierra County]
- Elephant Butte [Sierra County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elephant Butte
- Elephant Butte [Sierra County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the north of Caballo
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,320 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elephant Butte have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elephant Butte
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Elephant Butte<5>
- Williamsburg [Sierra County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Williamsburg
- Williamsburg [Sierra County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the north of Caballo
- Population from the 2020 Census: 415 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Williamsburg have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Williamsburg
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Williamsburg<5>
- Las Palomas [Sierra County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Las Palomas
- Las Palomas [Sierra County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the north of Caballo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Las Palomas
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Arrey [Sierra County]
- Garfield [Dona Ana County]
- Hillsboro [Sierra County]
- Cutter [Sierra County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cutter
- Cutter [Sierra County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the east of Caballo
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cutter have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Cuchillo [Sierra County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cuchillo
- Cuchillo [Sierra County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the north of Caballo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cuchillo
- Rock Canyon [Sierra County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rock Canyon
- Rock Canyon [Sierra County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the north of Caballo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rock Canyon
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Caballo. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Caballo.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Caballo. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Caballo.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Caballo. See our Newspapers Page for Caballo.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Caballo ...
Looking for more information about Caballo? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Caballo, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Caballo.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in New Mexico
About Sierra County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Caballo. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of New Mexico's counties, including Sierra, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Caballo - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Caballo). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Caballo or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Caballo) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Caballo. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CaballoOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Caballo. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 32.9756, Longitude: -107.3078 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|