Our Genealogy Helper for Harris Point ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Harris Point (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Harris Point. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Harris Point ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Harris Point: Harris Pt.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Harris Point:
- Websites specific to Newfoundland and Labrador
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Newfoundland and Labrador
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Newfoundland and Labrador
Cemeteries Near Harris Point ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Harris Point.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Harris Point covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Beacon Pentecostal Tabernacle Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Beacon Pentecostal Tabernacle Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Beacon Pentecostal Tabernacle Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- Beacon Pentecostal Tabernacle Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the west of Harris Point.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beacon Pentecostal Tabernacle Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2499805<3>
- Port Albert Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Port Albert Anglican Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Port Albert Anglican Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- Port Albert Anglican Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the north of Harris Point.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Port Albert Anglican Cemetery
- United Church Cemetery
- All Saints Cemetery
- Cobb's Arm United Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Cobb's Arm United Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Cobb's Arm United Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- Cobb's Arm United Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the north of Harris Point.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cobb's Arm United Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2525399<3>
- Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Old Gander Civilian Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Old Gander Civilian Cemetery
- Old Gander Civilian Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the south of Harris Point.
- Old Gander Civilian Cemetery has also been known as:
- Gander Civilian Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old Gander Civilian Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2580073<3>
- Silent Witness Memorial
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Silent Witness Memorial
- Silent Witness Memorial lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the south of Harris Point.
- Silent Witness Memorial has also been known as:
- Arrow Air Flight 1285 Memorial
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silent Witness Memorial
- Hugh Lane Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hugh Lane Cemetery
- Hugh Lane Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Harris Point.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hugh Lane Cemetery
- Pentecostal Cemetery
- Durrell Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Durrell Cemetery
- Durrell Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the northwest of Harris Point.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Durrell Cemetery
- Northeast Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Northeast Church Cemetery
- Northeast Church Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the northwest of Harris Point.
- Northeast Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- North East Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Northeast Church Cemetery
- St. Peter's Anglican Church Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Harris Point. See our List of 1890's Communities around Harris Point.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Newfoundland and Labrador
About Newfoundland and Labrador
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Harris Point. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Newfoundland and Labrador: https://www.gov.nl.ca/
|<1>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Harris Point) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Harris Point. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Harris PointOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Harris Point. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.2833, Longitude: -54.4833 |
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|