Our Genealogy Helper for Hants Harbour ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Hants Harbour (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Hants Harbour. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Hants Harbour ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
- A typical abbreviation for Hants Harbour: Hants Hbr. (or less commonly used: Hants Harb. or Hants Hrbr.)
- While the name of this town is Hants Harbour, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<1>. So Hants Harbour may originally have been Hant's Harbour.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Hants Harbour might be written as Hant Harbour.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Hants Harbour:
- Websites specific to Newfoundland and Labrador
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Newfoundland and Labrador
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Newfoundland and Labrador
Cemeteries Near Hants Harbour ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Hants Harbour.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Hants Harbour covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- United Church Cemetery
- Anglican Cemetery, Heart's Content
- Western Bay South UC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Western Bay South UC Cemetery
- The Western Bay South UC Cemetery is located outside and to the south of Western Bay.More precisely, Western Bay South UC Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the southeast of Hants Harbour.
- Western Bay South UC Cemetery has also been known as:
- McDowell United Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Western Bay South UC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2495234<3>
- Lower Island Cove Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lower Island Cove Cemetery
- Lower Island Cove Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the east of Hants Harbour.
- Lower Island Cove Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lower Island Cove United Church Cemetery
- Old Methodist Church Cemetery
- United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lower Island Cove Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2593847<3>
- Broad Cove United Cemetery
- Blackhead Old Methodist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Blackhead Old Methodist Cemetery
- Blackhead Old Methodist Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Hants Harbour.
- Blackhead Old Methodist Cemetery has also been known as:
- Blackhead Methodist Cemetery
- Blackhead Old Methodist Cemetery
- Old Blackhead Methodist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackhead Old Methodist Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2441668<3>
- Continue List ...
- United Church Cemetery
- Blundon's Point Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Blundon's Point Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Blundon's Point Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- The Blundon's Point Cemetery is located in Bay de Verde.More precisely, Blundon's Point Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the east of Hants Harbour.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blundon's Point Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2593349<3>
- Church Hill Anglican Cemetery
- Old RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Old RC Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Old RC Cemetery came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Old RC Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the east of Hants Harbour.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2588874<3>
- Bay de Verde Anglican Cemetery
- Bethel United Cemetery
- Interfaith Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Interfaith Cemetery
- Interfaith Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the south of Hants Harbour.
- Interfaith Cemetery has also been known as:
- Arnold's Cove Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Interfaith Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2409761<3>
- Holy Rosary Cemetery
- St. Patrick's RC Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Hants Harbour. See our List of 1890's Communities around Hants Harbour.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Newfoundland and Labrador
About Newfoundland and Labrador
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Hants Harbour. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Newfoundland and Labrador: https://www.gov.nl.ca/
|<1>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Hants Harbour) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Hants Harbour. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Hants HarbourOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hants Harbour. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.0167, Longitude: -53.2667 |
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|