Our Genealogy Helper for Epworth and Great Salmonier ...
Although we found mention of Epworth and Great Salmonier during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Epworth and Great Salmonier was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Epworth and Great Salmonier (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Epworth and Great Salmonier. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Epworth and Great Salmonier:
- Websites specific to Newfoundland and Labrador
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Newfoundland and Labrador
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Newfoundland and Labrador
Cemeteries Near Epworth and Great Salmonier ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Epworth and Great Salmonier.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Epworth and Great Salmonier covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Collins Cove United Church Cemetery
- Grace United Church Cemetery
- Garnish United Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Garnish United Church Cemetery
- The Garnish United Church Cemetery is located in Garnish.To be more accurate, Garnish United Church Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the northwest of Epworth and Great Salmonier.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Garnish United Church Cemetery
- St. Giles Anglican Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Giles Anglican Church Cemetery
- The St. Giles Anglican Church Cemetery is located in Garnish.More precisely, St. Giles Anglican Church Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the northwest of Epworth and Great Salmonier.
- St. Giles Anglican Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Giles Old Anglican Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Giles Anglican Church Cemetery
- Baine Harbour Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Baine Harbour Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Baine Harbour Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Baine Harbour Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<3> to the northeast of Epworth and Great Salmonier.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Baine Harbour Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2635667<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Epworth and Great Salmonier. See our List of 1890's Communities around Epworth and Great Salmonier.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Newfoundland and Labrador Community
About Newfoundland and Labrador
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Newfoundland and Labrador: https://www.gov.nl.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Epworth and Great Salmonier and then turned east". While Epworth and Great Salmonier could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Epworth and Great Salmonier as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Epworth and Great Salmonier could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Newfoundland and Labrador community named Epworth and Great Salmonier.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Epworth and Great Salmonier) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Epworth and Great Salmonier. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.0486, Longitude: -55.2200 |
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|