Our Genealogy Helper for Cuckholds Cove ...
So far, we have found very little information about Cuckholds Cove. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Cuckholds Cove to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Cuckholds Cove, please Contact Us.
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Cuckholds Cove (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Cuckholds Cove. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Cuckholds Cove ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
- A typical abbreviation for Cuckholds Cove: Cuckholds Cv.
- While the name of this community is Cuckholds Cove, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<2>. So Cuckholds Cove may originally have been Cuckhold's Cove.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Cuckholds Cove might be written as Cuckhold Cove.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Cuckholds Cove:
- Websites specific to Newfoundland and Labrador
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Newfoundland and Labrador
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Newfoundland and Labrador
Cemeteries Near Cuckholds Cove ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Cuckholds Cove.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Cuckholds Cove covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Amherst Cove Anglican Church Cemetery
- Lookout United Church Cemetery
- Snook's Harbour Cemetery
- Lady Cove Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lady Cove Cemetery
- Lady Cove Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Cuckholds Cove.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lady Cove Cemetery
- Weybridge / Random Island Cemetery
- Blundon's Point Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Blundon's Point Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Blundon's Point Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- The Blundon's Point Cemetery is located in Bay de Verde.Blundon's Point Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<3> to the southeast of Cuckholds Cove.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blundon's Point Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2593349<4>
- Continue List ...
- Bay de Verde Anglican Cemetery
- Old RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Old RC Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Old RC Cemetery came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Old RC Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<3> to the southeast of Cuckholds Cove.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2588874<4>
- Church Hill Anglican Cemetery
- Bunyan's Cove Old United Church Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Cuckholds Cove. See our List of 1890's Communities around Cuckholds Cove.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Newfoundland and Labrador
About Newfoundland and Labrador
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Newfoundland and Labrador: https://www.gov.nl.ca/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Cuckholds Cove, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cuckholds Cove) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cuckholds Cove. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.3500, Longitude: -53.3833 |
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|