Welcome to Nome ...
The city of Nome is located in Barnes County<1>.
When the people of Nome refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Nomeite<2>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Nome has a population of 56 people<3> (see below for details).
Nome was established in 1901.
The community of Nome is 1,320 feet [402 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: Nome lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
The area code for Nome: (701)
The ZIP code for Nome: 58062<5>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Nome had an population of 56 people. This is a decrease of 9.68% since the 2010 Census (or a decrease of 20% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Nome had a population of 62 people. This makes Nome the county's 8th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 62 people, the population of Nome decreased 11.43% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 70 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Nome.
Communities Also Named Nome ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named Nome - they are located in Alaska and Texas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Nome.
Communities near Nome ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Nome.
- Valley City [Barnes County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Valley City
- Valley City [Barnes County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<6> to the northwest of Nome
- Estimated population in 2019: 6,323 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Valley City have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Valley City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Valley City<8>
- Lisbon [Ransom County]
- Enderlin [Ransom County]
- Tower City [Cass County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tower City
- Tower City [Cass County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the north of Nome
- Estimated population in 2019: 265 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Tower City have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tower City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tower City<8>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Litchville [Barnes County]
- Sheldon [Ransom County]
- Oriska [Barnes County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oriska
- Oriska [Barnes County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the north of Nome
- Estimated population in 2019: 112 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Oriska have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oriska
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Oriska<8>
- Fingal [Barnes County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fingal
- Fingal [Barnes County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<6> to the north of Nome
- Estimated population in 2019: 86 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fingal have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fingal
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Fingal<8>
- Fort Ransom [Ransom County]
- Kathryn [Barnes County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Nome. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Nome.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Nome. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Nome.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Nome. See our Newspapers Page for Nome.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Nome ...
Looking for more information about Nome? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Nome, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Nome.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in North Dakota
About Barnes County
About North Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Nome. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Barnes County: www.co.barnes.nd.us/
The official website for State of North Dakota: www.nd.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of North Dakota's counties, including Barnes, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Nome refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Nome may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Nome.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Nome - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Nome). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Nome or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Nome) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Nome. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Nome
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Nome. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.6785, Longitude: -97.8094
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<8>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|