Census Data for Goodrich ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Goodrich a population of 91 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Goodrich a population of 98 people.
The city of Goodrich is located in Sheridan County. The 2010 Census gave Sheridan County; a population of 1,321 people. This means that Goodrich had 7.42% of the county's total population, making it Sheridan's 3rd most populous community.
At the same time, North Dakota had a population of 672,591 people, meaning that Goodrich had 0.01% of the total population of North Dakota - making it the state's 275th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Goodrich has a total area of 0.29 square miles [0.7 km²]. Of this total, 0.28 square miles [0.7 km²] is land, with the balance (1.39%) being water (0 square miles [0 km²]).
Sheridan County has a land area of 972 square miles [2,518.5 km²]. At 0.28 square miles [0.7 km²], Goodrich has 0.03% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a city like Goodrich, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the city.
- Things like population, area and housing for Goodrich reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Goodrich might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 47° 28' 34" (or 47.48°)
- Lon: -100° 7' 29" (or -100.12°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Sheridan County ...
Goodrich is located in Sheridan County<3>.
The county had a population of 1,321 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 98 people, Goodrich represented 7.42% of the county's total.
In addition, where the city of Goodrich has a population density of 340.3 people per square mile [131.4 people/km²], Sheridan County averages 1.36 people per square mile [0.52 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Sheridan County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Goodrich, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Goodrich. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Goodrich or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Goodrich, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Goodrich.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 47.476234° (or 47°28'34" N)
- Lon: -100.124796° (or -100°7'29" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 47.476162° (or 47°28'34" N)
- Lon: -100.125072° (or -100°7'30" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 72.9 feet to the east<4> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#1036061) to Goodrich. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Goodrich. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 47.476107° (or 47°28'33" N)
- Lon: -100.125124° (or -100°7'30" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 93.1 feet to the northeast<5> of the point given by the GNIS for Goodrich. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Goodrich.
Miscellaneous Information for Goodrich ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Sheridan County or the city of Goodrich:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Goodrich:
- GNIS ID for Goodrich: 1036061
- GNIS ID for Sheridan County: 1034203
- GNIS ID for State of North Dakota: 1779797
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Goodrich is located in Census Region #2 (the Midwest Region) and Division #4 (the West North-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Goodrich.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for North Dakota
About Sheridan County
About North Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Goodrich. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of North Dakota: www.nd.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||If you're interested in how the shape of North Dakota's counties, including Sheridan, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 291 degrees and a distance of 72.9 feet.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 299 degrees and a distance of 93.1 feet.|