Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Des Lacs, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Des Lacs and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Des Lacs:
- 48.257602, -101.564044
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Des Lacs
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Des Lacs ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Donnybrook [Ward County]
- Forfar [Bottineau County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Forfar have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forfar
- Forfar [Bottineau County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the northeast of Des Lacs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forfar
- Glenburn [Renville County]
- Greene [Renville County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greene have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greene
- Greene [Renville County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the north of Des Lacs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greene
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Hartland [Ward County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hartland have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hartland
- Hartland [Ward County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Des Lacs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hartland
- Lonetree [Ward County]
- Prairie Junction [Mountrail County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Prairie Junction have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Prairie Junction
- Prairie Junction [Mountrail County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the southwest of Des Lacs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Prairie Junction
- Rising [McHenry County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rising
- Rising [McHenry County] was located 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the east of Des Lacs
How Far From Des Lacs to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Des Lacs to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Des Lacs and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Minot, which is the Seat of Ward County and lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the east. If you could walk a straight line from Des Lacs to Minot, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take nearly four hours.
- Bismarck, which is the State Capital of North Dakota, lies 106 miles [170.6 km] to the south southeast (SSE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take 5 days and walking would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,378 miles [2,217.7 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 54 days and walking would take 79 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,292 miles [10,126 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,058 miles [11,358.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,023 miles [8,083.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a North Dakota Community
About Ward County
About North Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Des Lacs. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Ward County: www.co.ward.nd.us/
The official website for State of North Dakota: www.nd.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Des Lacs) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Des Lacs. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Des Lacs
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Des Lacs. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.2576, Longitude: -101.5640
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Des Lacs to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 324.405 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 323.531 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 314.611 degrees.||