Welcome to Center ...
The city of Center is located in Oliver County<1> and is the County Seat for Oliver County.
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Center has a population of 578 people<2> (see below for details).
Center was established in 1903.
The community of Center is 1,970 feet [600 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Center lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you leave Center and travel south, you will leave Central Time and cross into the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT).
The area code for Center: (701)
The ZIP code for Center: 58530<4>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Center had an population of 578 people. This is an increase of 1.23% since the 2010 Census (or a decrease of 14.75% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Center had a population of 571 people (which is 30.93% of the total population of Oliver County). This makes Center the county's 2nd most populous community.
The population of Center represents 0.08% of the total population of North Dakota (which has 672,591 people), making it the state's 112nd most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 571 people, the population of Center decreased 15.78% from the 2000 Census (which had a count of 678 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Center.
Communities Also Named Center ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 57 communities that are also named Center - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia (4), Idaho, Illinois, Indiana (3), Kansas (7), Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts (2), Mississippi (5), Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina (3), Ohio (6), Oklahoma (2), Pennsylvania (3), South Dakota, Tennessee (4), Texas (3), Washington and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Center.
Communities near Center ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Center.
- Hazen [Mercer County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hazen
- Hazen [Mercer County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the northwest of Center
- Estimated population in 2019: 2,311 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hazen
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Hazen<6>
- Washburn [McLean County]
- New Salem [Morton County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for New Salem have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Salem
- New Salem [Morton County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the south of Center
- Estimated population in 2019: 989 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Salem
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for New Salem<6>
- Stanton [Mercer County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Stanton have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Stanton
- Stanton [Mercer County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the north of Center
- Estimated population in 2019: 339 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stanton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Stanton<6>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Hannover [Oliver County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hannover
- Hannover [Oliver County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the west of Center
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hannover
- Hensler [Oliver County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hensler
- Hensler [Oliver County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the northeast of Center
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hensler
- Knife River Village [Mercer County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Knife River Village have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Knife River Village
- Knife River Village [Mercer County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the north of Center
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Knife River Village
- Bluegrass [Morton County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bluegrass
- Bluegrass [Morton County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the southwest of Center
- Double Ditch Indian Village [Burleigh County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Double Ditch Indian Village have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Double Ditch Indian Village
- Double Ditch Indian Village [Burleigh County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the southeast of Center
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Double Ditch Indian Village
- Krem [Mercer County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Krem. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Krem
- Krem [Mercer County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<5> to the northwest of Center
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Center. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Center.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Center. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Center.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Center. See our Newspapers Page for Center.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Center ...
Looking for more information about Center? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Center, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Center.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for North Dakota
About Oliver County
About North Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Center. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of North Dakota: www.nd.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of North Dakota's counties, including Oliver, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Center.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Center - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Center). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Center or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Center) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Center. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Center
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Center. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.1164, Longitude: -101.2981
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|