Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Calio, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Calio and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Calio:
- 48.623618, -98.938189
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Calio
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Calio ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Agate [Rolette County]
- Clyde [Cavalier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clyde
- Clyde [Cavalier County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the north of Calio
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Clyde have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clyde
- Crystal City
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crystal City
- Crystal City lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<1> to the north of Calio
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crystal City came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crystal City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Crystal City<2>
- Devils Lake [Ramsey County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Devils Lake
- Devils Lake [Ramsey County] lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<1> to the south of Calio
- Population from the 2020 Census: 7,229 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Devils Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Devils Lake
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Devils Lake<2>
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Rocklake [Towner County]
- Starkweather [Ramsey County]
- Sweetwater [Ramsey County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sweetwater
- Sweetwater [Ramsey County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the south of Calio
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sweetwater have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sweetwater
- Weaver [Cavalier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Weaver
- Weaver [Cavalier County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the east of Calio
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Weaver have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Weaver
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Calio. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Dorothy Foulger (Actress)
How Far From Calio to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Calio to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Calio and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Langdon, which is the Seat of Cavalier County and lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the east northeast. If you could walk a straight line from Calio to Langdon, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just over a day.
- Bismarck, which is the State Capital of North Dakota, lies 151 miles [243 km] to the southwest (SW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 6 days and walking would take 9 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,275 miles [2,051.9 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 50 days and walking would take 73 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,200 miles [9,977.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,965 miles [11,209.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,918 miles [7,914.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for North Dakota
About Cavalier County
About North Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Calio. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of North Dakota: www.nd.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Calio) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Calio. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CalioOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Calio. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.6236, Longitude: -98.9382 In this case, the coordinates for Calio have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Calio to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 322.431 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 321.33 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 312.952 degrees.||