Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Rancher, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Rancher and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Rancher:
- 46.263875, -107.402847
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Rancher
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Rancher ...
We have found two communities that share the name Rancher.
There is one other community in Montana which is also named Rancher.
Beyond Montana, there is another community also named Rancher in the United States.
- Communities Located In Montana ...
- Custer County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Montana community of Rancher [Custer County].
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Hall County
- This community is historic<2> and although located in Hall County, we don't know where within the county.
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Hall County community of Rancher.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Rancher ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bighorn [Treasure County]
- Bull Mountain [Yellowstone County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bull Mountain
- Bull Mountain [Yellowstone County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Rancher
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bull Mountain have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bull Mountain
- Cold Spring [Rosebud County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cold Spring
- Cold Spring [Rosebud County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<3> to the east of Rancher
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cold Spring have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cold Spring
- Fee [Yellowstone County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fee
- Fee [Yellowstone County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the southwest of Rancher
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fee have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fee
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Finch [Rosebud County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Finch
- Finch [Rosebud County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the east of Rancher
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Finch have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Finch
- Howard [Rosebud County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Howard
- Howard [Rosebud County] was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<3> to the east of Rancher
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Howard have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Pompeys Pillar [Yellowstone County]
- Waco [Yellowstone County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waco
- Waco [Yellowstone County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the southwest of Rancher
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Waco have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Waco
How Far From Rancher to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Rancher to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic community of Rancher once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Rancher and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Hysham, which is the Seat of Treasure County and lies just to the East Northeast.
- Helena, which is the State Capital of Montana, lies 220 miles [354.1 km]<3> to the west (W). If you could drive a straight line from Rancher to Helena, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 13 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 9 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,613 miles [2,595.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 63 days and walking would take 92 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,557 miles [10,552.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,325 miles [11,788.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,311 miles [8,547.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Montana
About Treasure County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Rancher could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Rancher, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Rancher) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Rancher. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.2639, Longitude: -107.4028 In this case, the coordinates for Rancher have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Rancher to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.814 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.369 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.493 degrees.||