Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Opheim, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Opheim and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Opheim:
- 48.856945, -106.408260
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Opheim
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Valley County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Valley County
- Since Opheim is near Daniels County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Daniels County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Opheim ...
We have found one communities that share the name Opheim.
Within Montana, the name Opheim is unique.
Beyond Montana, there is another community also named Opheim in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Henry County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Illinois community of Opheim [Henry County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Opheim ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Kansas Flat [Valley County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kansas Flat
- Kansas Flat [Valley County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the southwest of Opheim
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kansas Flat have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Killdeer
- Killdeer lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the north of Opheim
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Killdeer came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Killdeer
- Peerless [Daniels County]
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Scout Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Scout Lake
- Scout Lake lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<2> to the northeast of Opheim
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Scout Lake
- Wild Rose [Valley County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wild Rose
- Wild Rose [Valley County] was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the south of Opheim
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wild Rose have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Wood Mountain
How Far From Opheim to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Opheim to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Opheim and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Glasgow, which is the Seat of Valley County and lies 46 miles [74 km]<2> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Opheim to Glasgow, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take about three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of two days.
- Helena, which is the State Capital of Montana, lies 303 miles [487.6 km] to the west southwest (WSW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take five to six hours, a buggy would take 12 days and walking would take 18 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,602 miles [2,578.2 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 63 days and walking would take 91 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,380 miles [10,267.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,149 miles [11,505.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,146 miles [8,281.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Montana
About Valley County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Opheim. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Opheim could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Opheim) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Opheim. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from OpheimOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Opheim. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.8569, Longitude: -106.4083 In this case, the coordinates for Opheim have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Opheim to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.13 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 327.847 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 317.444 degrees.||