Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Oneill, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Oneill and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Oneill:
- 46.148612, -105.150531
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Oneill
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Oneill ...
We have found one communities that share the name Oneill.
Within Montana, the name Oneill is unique.
Beyond Montana, there is another community also named Oneill in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Weber County
- This Oneill is located in Weber County and lies 480 miles [772.5 km]<1> to the southwest of the Oneill that is located in Custer County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oneill
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Weber County community of Oneill.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Oneill ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Beaver Flats [Carter County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaver Flats
- Beaver Flats [Carter County] was located 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the southeast of Oneill
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beaver Flats have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Foundation [Custer County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Foundation
- Foundation [Custer County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Oneill
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Foundation have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Mildred [Prairie County]
- Miles City [Custer County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Miles City
- Miles City [Custer County] lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<1> to the northwest of Oneill
- Population from the 2020 Census: 8,181 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Miles City have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Miles City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Miles City<3>
- Powderville [Powder River County]
How Far From Oneill to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Oneill to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<4> community of Oneill once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Oneill and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Miles City, which is the Seat of Custer County and lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<1> to the west northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Oneill to Miles City, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- Helena, which is the State Capital of Montana, lies 328 miles [527.9 km] to the west (W). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take five to six hours, a buggy would take 13 days and walking would take 19 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,506 miles [2,423.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 59 days and walking would take 86 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,507 miles [10,472 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,274 miles [11,706.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,244 miles [8,439.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Montana
About Custer County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Oneill) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Oneill. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.1486, Longitude: -105.1505 In this case, the coordinates for Oneill have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Oneill, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Oneill to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 327.077 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 326.356 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 317.165 degrees.||