Welcome to Oneill ...
So far, we have found very little information about Oneill. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Oneill to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Oneill, please Contact Us.
Oneill would have been located within present day Custer County<2>.
The location of Oneill has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Oneill is 2,560 feet [780 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Oneill is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Oneill was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Oneill would have been located in the (406) area code.
Communities Also Named Oneill ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Oneill - it's located in Utah.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Oneill.
Communities near Oneill ...
We have created a list of 9 communities that are near Oneill.
- Powderville [Powder River County]
- Ismay [Custer County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ismay
- Ismay [Custer County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<5> to the northeast of Oneill
- Population from the 2020 Census: 19 people
- Former name for Ismay:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ismay
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Ismay<6>
- Ekalaka [Carter County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ekalaka
- Ekalaka [Carter County] lies 33 miles [53.1 km]<5> to the southeast of Oneill
- Population from the 2020 Census: 367 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ekalaka have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ekalaka
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Ekalaka<6>
- Volborg [Custer County]
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Plevna [Fallon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Plevna
- Plevna [Fallon County] lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<5> to the northeast of Oneill
- Population from the 2020 Census: 141 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Plevna have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Plevna
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Plevna<6>
- Kinsey [Custer County]
- Mildred [Prairie County]
- Miles City [Custer County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Miles City
- Miles City [Custer County] lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<5> to the northwest of Oneill
- Population from the 2020 Census: 8,181 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Miles City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Miles City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Miles City<6>
- Willard [Fallon County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Oneill. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Oneill.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Oneill. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Oneill.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Oneill. See our Newspapers Page for Oneill.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Montana
About Custer County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Oneill, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Custer, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Oneill - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Oneill) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Oneill. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.1486, Longitude: -105.1505 In this case, the coordinates for Oneill have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|