Welcome to McDermott ...
So far, we have found very little information about McDermott. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added McDermott to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with McDermott, please Contact Us.
McDermott would have been located within present day Toole County<2>.
The location of McDermott has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for McDermott is 4,440 feet [1,353 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of McDermott is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where McDermott was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where McDermott once stood is in the (406) area code.
Communities Also Named McDermott ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 3 communities that are also named McDermott - they are located in Alberta, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for McDermott.
Communities near McDermott ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near McDermott.
- Sunburst [Toole County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunburst
- Sunburst [Toole County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the west of McDermott
- Population from the 2020 Census: 328 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sunburst have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunburst
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sunburst<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aden
- Aden lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the northeast of McDermott
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aden
- Whitlash [Liberty County]
- Oilmont [Toole County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coutts
- Coutts lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the west of McDermott
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Coutts came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coutts
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Coutts<6>
- Sweet Grass [Toole County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sweet Grass
- Sweet Grass [Toole County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the west of McDermott
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sweet Grass
- Kevin [Toole County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kevin
- Kevin [Toole County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<5> to the southwest of McDermott
- Population from the 2020 Census: 136 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kevin have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kevin
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Kevin<6>
- Rim Rock Colony [Toole County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rim Rock Colony
- Rim Rock Colony [Toole County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<5> to the west of McDermott
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rim Rock Colony
- Milk River
- Galata [Toole County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around McDermott. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for McDermott.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around McDermott. See our Newspapers Page for McDermott.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Montana
About Toole County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about McDermott, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Toole, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around McDermott - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- McDermott) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in McDermott. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.9139, Longitude: -111.5230 In this case, the coordinates for McDermott have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|