Welcome to McCarthyville ...
So far, we have found very little information about McCarthyville. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added McCarthyville to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with McCarthyville, please Contact Us.
McCarthyville would have been located within present day Flathead County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of McCarthyville, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
The origin (or the toponymy) of McCarthyville: Named after Eugene McCathry, founder and earlier settler.
While the community is gone, the present day location for McCarthyville is 4,420 feet [1,347 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of McCarthyville is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where McCarthyville was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where McCarthyville once stood is in the (406) area code.
Communities near McCarthyville ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near McCarthyville.
- Essex [Flathead County]
- East Glacier Park Village [Glacier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for East Glacier Park Village
- East Glacier Park Village [Glacier County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the northeast of McCarthyville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on East Glacier Park Village
- East Glacier Park [Glacier County]
- Kiowa [Glacier County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Starr School [Glacier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Starr School
- Starr School [Glacier County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<5> to the northeast of McCarthyville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Starr School have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Starr School
- Browning [Glacier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Browning
- Browning [Glacier County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<5> to the northeast of McCarthyville
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,001 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Browning
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Browning<6>
- Heart Butte [Pondera County]
- South Browning [Glacier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for South Browning
- South Browning [Glacier County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<5> to the northeast of McCarthyville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on South Browning
- Bear Creek Village [Flathead County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bear Creek Village
- Bear Creek Village [Flathead County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<5> to the southwest of McCarthyville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bear Creek Village
- Martin City [Flathead County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around McCarthyville. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for McCarthyville.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around McCarthyville. See our Newspapers Page for McCarthyville.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Montana
About Flathead County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Flathead County: www.co.flathead.mt.us/
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about McCarthyville, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Flathead, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around McCarthyville - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- McCarthyville) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for McCarthyville. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from McCarthyvilleOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in McCarthyville. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.2711, Longitude: -113.4387 In this case, the coordinates for McCarthyville have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|