Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Hilger, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Hilger and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Hilger:
- 47.255029, -109.36006
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Hilger
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Fergus County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Fergus County
- Since Hilger is near Judith Basin County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Judith Basin County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Hilger ...
We have found one communities that share the name Hilger.
Within Montana, the name Hilger is unique.
Beyond Montana, there is another community also named Hilger in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Fannin County
- This Hilger is located in Fannin County and lies 1,167 miles [1,878.1 km]<1> to the southeast of the Hilger that is located in Fergus County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hilger
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Fannin County community of Hilger.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Hilger ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Canyon [Fergus County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Canyon
- Canyon [Fergus County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Hilger
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Canyon have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Giltedge [Fergus County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Giltedge
- Giltedge [Fergus County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Hilger
- Maiden [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Maiden
- Maiden [Fergus County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Hilger
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maiden
- Nelson [Fergus County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nelson
- Nelson [Fergus County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Hilger
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Nelson have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- New Year [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Year
- New Year [Fergus County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Hilger
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for New Year have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Year
- Roy Junction [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Roy Junction
- Roy Junction [Fergus County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Hilger
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Roy Junction. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Roy Junction
- Ruby Gulch [Fergus County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ruby Gulch
- Ruby Gulch [Fergus County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the south of Hilger
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ruby Gulch have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Rustle [Fergus County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rustle
- Rustle [Fergus County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Hilger
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rustle have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
How Far From Hilger to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Hilger to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Hilger and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Lewistown, which is the Seat of Fergus County and lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Hilger to Lewistown, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take four to five hours.
- Helena, which is the State Capital of Montana, lies 133 miles [214 km] to the west southwest (WSW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 6 days and walking would take 8 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,714 miles [2,758.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 98 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,545 miles [10,533.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,314 miles [11,770.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,320 miles [8,561.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Montana Community
About Fergus County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Hilger. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Fergus County: www.co.fergus.mt.us/
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Hilger) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Hilger. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from HilgerOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hilger. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.2550, Longitude: -109.3601 |
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Hilger to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.381 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 330.271 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.535 degrees.||