Welcome to Harrison ...
Harrison is located in Madison County<1>.
Harrison is 4,910 feet [1,497 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the altitude of Harrison is about 1 mile [or 1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Harrison lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Harrison is located in the (406) area code.
The ZIP code for Harrison: 59735<3>
Communities Also Named Harrison ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 45 communities that are also named Harrison - they are located in Arkansas, California, Florida (2), Georgia (2), Idaho, Illinois (2), Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Michigan (4), Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey (3), New York, Newfoundland and Labrador, North Carolina, Ohio (6), Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania (2), South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, West Virginia (2) and Wisconsin (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Harrison.
Communities near Harrison ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Harrison.
- Three Forks [Gallatin County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Three Forks
- Three Forks [Gallatin County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the northeast of Harrison
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,043 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Three Forks have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Three Forks
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Three Forks<6>
- Whitehall [Jefferson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Whitehall
- Whitehall [Jefferson County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the northwest of Harrison
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,160 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Whitehall have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Whitehall
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Whitehall<6>
- Pony [Madison County] - Historic
- Strawberry [Madison County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Strawberry
- Strawberry [Madison County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the west of Harrison
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Strawberry. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Norris [Madison County]
- Willow Creek [Gallatin County]
- Mammoth [Madison County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mammoth
- Mammoth [Madison County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the west of Harrison
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mammoth
- Jefferson Island [Madison County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jefferson Island
- Jefferson Island [Madison County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the northwest of Harrison
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jefferson Island
- Cardwell [Jefferson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cardwell
- Cardwell [Jefferson County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the northwest of Harrison
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cardwell have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cardwell
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Cardwell<6>
- McAllister [Madison County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Harrison. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Harrison.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Harrison. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Harrison.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Harrison. See our Newspapers Page for Harrison.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Harrison ...
Looking for more information about Harrison? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Harrison, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Harrison.
Adding Harrison to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Harrison in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Harrison was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Harrison on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Montana Community
About Madison County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Harrison. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Madison, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Harrison - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Harrison). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Harrison or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Harrison) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Harrison. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from HarrisonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Harrison. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.7036, Longitude: -111.7852 |
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|