Welcome to Cardwell ...
Cardwell is located in Jefferson County<1>.
The location of Cardwell has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<2>
Cardwell is 4,280 feet [1,305 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Cardwell is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Cardwell lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Cardwell is located in the (406) area code.
Communities Also Named Cardwell ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 7 communities that are also named Cardwell - they are located in California, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Missouri, Ontario and Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Cardwell.
Communities near Cardwell ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Cardwell.
- Three Forks [Gallatin County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Three Forks
- Three Forks [Gallatin County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the east of Cardwell
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,043 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Three Forks have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Three Forks
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Three Forks<5>
- Whitehall [Jefferson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Whitehall
- Whitehall [Jefferson County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the west of Cardwell
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,160 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Whitehall have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Whitehall
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Whitehall<5>
- Piedmont [Jefferson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Piedmont
- Piedmont [Jefferson County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the west of Cardwell
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Piedmont
- Harrison [Madison County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Mammoth [Madison County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mammoth
- Mammoth [Madison County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the south of Cardwell
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mammoth
- Pipestone Hot Springs [Jefferson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pipestone Hot Springs
- Pipestone Hot Springs [Jefferson County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the west of Cardwell
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pipestone Hot Springs
- Strawberry [Madison County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Strawberry
- Strawberry [Madison County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the south of Cardwell
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Strawberry. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Pony [Madison County] - Historic
- Willow Creek [Gallatin County]
- Silver Star [Madison County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Cardwell. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Cardwell.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Cardwell. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Cardwell.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Cardwell. See our Newspapers Page for Cardwell.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Cardwell ...
Looking for more information about Cardwell? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Cardwell, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Cardwell.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Montana
About Jefferson County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cardwell. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Jefferson County: www.co.jefferson.mt.us/
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Jefferson, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Cardwell - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Cardwell) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cardwell. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CardwellOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cardwell. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.8599, Longitude: -111.9525 In this case, the coordinates for Cardwell have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|