Welcome to Austin ...
Austin is located in Lewis and Clark County<1>.
When the people of Austin refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Austinite<2>
Austin is 4,750 feet [1,448 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Austin is about ¾ mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Austin lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Austin lies within the (406) area code.
Communities Also Named Austin ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 42 communities that are also named Austin - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (3), California, Colorado (2), Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas (2), Kentucky, Manitoba, Michigan (4), Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri (2), Nebraska, Nevada, New York (2), North Carolina, Ohio, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Quebec, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee (2), Texas, Utah, Washington (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Austin.
Communities near Austin ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Austin.
- Helena [Lewis and Clark County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Helena
- Helena [Lewis and Clark County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the east of Austin
- Population from the 2020 Census: 33,737 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Helena
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Helena<5>
- East Helena [Lewis and Clark County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for East Helena
- East Helena [Lewis and Clark County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the east of Austin
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,130 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on East Helena
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for East Helena<5>
- Birdseye [Lewis and Clark County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Birdseye
- Birdseye [Lewis and Clark County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the northeast of Austin
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Birdseye
- Frontier Town [Lewis and Clark County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Frontier Town
- Frontier Town [Lewis and Clark County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the southwest of Austin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Frontier Town have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Frontier Town
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Fort Harrison [Lewis and Clark County]
- Marysville [Lewis and Clark County] - Historic
- Silver City [Lewis and Clark County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silver City
- Silver City [Lewis and Clark County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the northeast of Austin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Silver City have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silver City
- Park City [Lewis and Clark County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Park City
- Park City [Lewis and Clark County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the southeast of Austin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Park City have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Park City
- Elliston [Powell County]
- Rimini [Lewis and Clark County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rimini
- Rimini [Lewis and Clark County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the south of Austin
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Austin. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Austin.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Austin. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Austin.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Austin. See our Newspapers Page for Austin.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Austin ...
Looking for more information about Austin? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Austin, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Austin.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Montana
About Lewis and Clark County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Austin. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Lewis and Clark County: www.co.lewis-clark.mt.us/
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Lewis and Clark, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Austin refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Austin may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Austin - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Austin) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Austin. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AustinOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Austin. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.6392, Longitude: -112.2441 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|