Welcome to Armstead ...
So far, we have found very little information about Armstead. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Armstead to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Armstead, please Contact Us.
Armstead would have been located within present day Beaverhead County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Armstead, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
We don't have a date for the establishment of Armstead. The community came to an end when it was inundated by the Clark Canyon Reservoir. More information can be found in the Details section on the Genealogy Helper Page for Armstead..
While the community is gone, the present day location for Armstead is 5,540 feet [1,689 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Armstead is about 1 mile [or ~1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Armstead was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Armstead once stood is in the (406) area code.
Communities Also Named Armstead ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named Armstead - they are located in Alabama and Kansas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Armstead.
Communities near Armstead ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Armstead.
- Bannack ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bannack
- Bannack was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the northwest of Armstead.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dillon
- Dillon lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the northeast of Armstead.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 4,333 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dillon have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dillon
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Dillon<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Argenta
- Argenta lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the north of Armstead.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Argenta
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lima
- Lima lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<5> to the southeast of Armstead.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 227 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lima have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lima
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lima<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lemhi
- Lemhi lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<5> to the west of Armstead.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lemhi have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lemhi
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lemhi<6>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Armstead. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Armstead.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Armstead. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Armstead.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Armstead. See our Newspapers Page for Armstead.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Armstead, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Beaverhead, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Armstead - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Armstead) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Armstead. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ArmsteadOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Armstead. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.9724, Longitude: -112.8649 In this case, the coordinates for Armstead have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|