Welcome to Altyn ...
So far, we have found very little information about Altyn. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Altyn to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Altyn, please Contact Us.
Altyn would have been located within present day Glacier County<2>.
The location of Altyn has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Altyn is 4,790 feet [1,460 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Altyn is about 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Altyn was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Altyn still existed, it would have been in the (406) area code.
Communities near Altyn ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Altyn.
- Rising Sun [Glacier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rising Sun
- Rising Sun [Glacier County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southeast of Altyn
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rising Sun
- Babb [Glacier County]
- Saint Mary [Glacier County]
- Chief Mountain
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chief Mountain
- Chief Mountain lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the north of Altyn
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chief Mountain
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carway
- Carway lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the northeast of Altyn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Carway came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carway
- Waterton Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waterton Park
- Waterton Park lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the northwest of Altyn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Waterton Park came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Waterton Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beazer
- Beazer lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the north of Altyn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beazer came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beazer
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Beazer<6>
- Mountain View
- Kiowa [Glacier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Leavitt
- Leavitt lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<5> to the north of Altyn
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Leavitt
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Altyn. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Altyn.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Altyn. See our Newspapers Page for Altyn.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Montana
About Glacier County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Altyn, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Glacier, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Altyn - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Altyn) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Altyn. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.8000, Longitude: -113.6246 In this case, the coordinates for Altyn have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|