Census Data for Olive Branch ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Olive Branch a population of 38,924 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Olive Branch a population of 33,484 people.
The city of Olive Branch is located in DeSoto County. The 2010 Census gave DeSoto County; a population of 161,252 people. This means that Olive Branch had 20.77% of the county's total population, making it DeSoto's 2nd most populous community.
At the same time, Mississippi had a population of 2,967,297 people, meaning that Olive Branch had 1.13% of the total population of Mississippi - making it the state's 9th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Olive Branch has a total area of 36.91 square miles [95.6 km²]. Of this total, a small amount of the area is covered by water (0.21 square miles [0.5 km²]).
DeSoto County has a land area of 476.1 square miles [1,233.2 km²]. At 36.7 square miles [95 km²], Olive Branch has 7.71% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a city like Olive Branch, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the city.
- Things like population, area and housing for Olive Branch reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Olive Branch might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 34° 57' 21" (or 34.96°)
- Lon: -89° 50' 28" (or -89.84°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Olive Branch had 12,942 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 33,484 people, this averages 2.59 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Olive Branch had a land area of 36.7 square miles [95 km²]. This translates to 350.7 Housing Units per square mile [135.4 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Olive Branch had 7,935 Housing Units, a population of 21,054 people and a land area of 36.19 square miles [93.7 km²]. This gives a density of 2.65 people per Housing Unit and 218.7 Housing Units per square mile [84.4 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 Census and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Olive Branch and you need to be careful when comparing numbers between the censuses. More information about these differences can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
DeSoto County ...
The community of Olive Branch is located in DeSoto County<4>.
The county had a population of 161,252 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 33,484 people, Olive Branch represented 20.77% of the county's total.
In addition, where the city of Olive Branch has a population density of 907 people per square mile [350.3 people/km²], DeSoto County averages 338.7 people per square mile [130.8 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for DeSoto County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Olive Branch, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Olive Branch. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Olive Branch or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Olive Branch, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Olive Branch.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 34.955959° (or 34°57'21" N)
- Lon: -89.841325° (or -89°50'28" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 34.963007° (or 34°57'46" N)
- Lon: -89.841627° (or -89°50'29" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 2,571 feet to the south<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2404429) to Olive Branch. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Olive Branch. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 34.960730° (or 34°57'38" N)
- Lon: -89.848461° (or -89°50'54" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 2,751 feet to the southeast<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Olive Branch. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Olive Branch.
Miscellaneous Information for Olive Branch ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either DeSoto County or the city of Olive Branch:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Olive Branch:
- GNIS ID for Olive Branch: 2404429
- GNIS ID for DeSoto County: 695741
- GNIS ID for State of Mississippi: 1779790
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Olive Branch is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #6 (the East South-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Olive Branch.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Mississippi
About DeSoto County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Olive Branch: www.obms.us/
The official website for DeSoto County: www.desotoms.com/
The official website for State of Mississippi: https://www.ms.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Mississippi's counties, including DeSoto, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 182 degrees and a distance of 2,571 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 230 degrees and a distance of 2,751 feet.|