When we're on the road, rather than always picking an airport that is close to our destination, we try to see if there might be another airport that would better fit our travel plans.<1> To help with your planning, the following list of airports is organized by type and proximity to Oakland.
Please keep in mind that these airports were chosen based on their air-distance from Oakland. You should check the map and see how accessible they are when considering one airport over another.
For each of the airports listed below, we've linked to websites where detailed information about the airport can be found.
Of the airports that we know about, these are some of the closest to Oakland.
Large Airports ...
- Birmingham Intl. (BHM/KBHM)
- Memphis Intl. (MEM/KMEM)
- Nashville Intl. (BNA/KBNA)
Smaller Airports with Scheduled Flights / Air Taxi Service ...
- Northwest Alabama Rgnl. (MSL/KMSL)
- Tuscaloosa Rgnl. (TCL/KTCL)
- Huntsville Intl. (HSV/KHSV)
General Aviation Airports ...
- Fulton - Itawamba Co. Airport (FAA ID: 11M)
- Fulton - Itawamba County Airport lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> miles to the west northwest of Oakland.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fulton - Itawamba County Airport
- Red Bay Muni.
- Red Bay Municipal Airport lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> miles to the north northeast of Oakland.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Bay Municipal Airport
- Tishomingo Co. Airport (FAA ID: 01M)
- Tishomingo County Airport lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> miles to the north of Oakland.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tishomingo County Airport
- Marion Co. Airport (FAA ID: HAB)
- Marion County - Rankin Fite Airport lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> miles to the southeast of Oakland.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marion County - Rankin Fite Airport
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Lamar Co. Airport (FAA ID: M55)
- Lamar County Airport lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> miles to the south southeast of Oakland.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lamar County Airport
- Tupelo Rgnl. (TUP/KTUP)
- C. D. Lemons Muni.
- C. D. Lemons Municipal Airport lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> miles to the west of Oakland.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on C. D. Lemons Municipal Airport
- Monroe Co. Airport (FAA ID: M40)
- Monroe County Airport lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<2> miles to the south southwest of Oakland.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Monroe County Airport
- Russellville Muni. (FAA ID: M22)
- Russellville Municipal Airport lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<2> miles to the east northeast of Oakland.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Russellville Municipal Airport
- Booneville - Baldwyn Airport (FAA ID: 8M1)
- Booneville - Baldwyn Airport lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<2> miles to the northwest of Oakland.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Booneville - Baldwyn Airport
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Mississippi
About Itawamba County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Oakland. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Itawamba County: www.co.itawamba.ms.us/
The official website for State of Mississippi: https://www.ms.gov/
|<1>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Oakland), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Oakland) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Oakland. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Oakland
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Oakland. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 34.2829, Longitude: -88.2325 In this case, the coordinates for Oakland have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).