Census Data for Noxapater ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Noxapater a population of 438 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Noxapater a population of 472 people.
The town of Noxapater is located in Winston County. The 2010 Census gave Winston County; a population of 19,198 people. This means that Noxapater had 2.46% of the county's total population, making it Winston's 2nd most populous community.
At the same time, Mississippi had a population of 2,967,297 people, meaning that Noxapater had 0.02% of the total population of Mississippi - making it the state's 217th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Noxapater has a total area of 1.01 square miles [2.6 km²].
Winston County has a land area of 607 square miles [1,572.8 km²]. At 1.01 square miles [2.6 km²], Noxapater has 0.17% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a town like Noxapater, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the town.
- Things like population, area and housing for Noxapater reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Noxapater might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 32° 59' 36" (or 32.99°)
- Lon: -89° 3' 48" (or -89.06°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Noxapater had 221 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 472 people, this averages 2.14 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Noxapater had a land area of 1.01 square miles [2.6 km²]. This translates to 219.5 Housing Units per square mile [84.7 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Noxapater had 191 Housing Units, a population of 419 people and a land area of 1 square miles [2.6 km²]. This gives a density of 2.19 people per Housing Unit and 190.2 Housing Units per square mile [73.4 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 Census and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Noxapater and you need to be careful when comparing values between the censuses. More information about these differences can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Winston County ...
The community of Noxapater is located in Winston County<4>.
The county had a population of 19,198 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 472 people, Noxapater represented 2.46% of the county's total.
In addition, where the town of Noxapater has a population density of 468.7 people per square mile [181 people/km²], Winston County averages 31.61 people per square mile [12.21 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Winston County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Noxapater, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Noxapater. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Noxapater or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Noxapater, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Noxapater.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 32.993583° (or 32°59'36" N)
- Lon: -89.063532° (or -89°3'48" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 32.992208° (or 32°59'31" N)
- Lon: -89.063796° (or -89°3'49" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 507 feet to the north<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2407013) to Noxapater. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Noxapater. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 32.993618° (or 32°59'37" N)
- Lon: -89.063473° (or -89°3'48" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 22.1 feet to the southwest<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Noxapater. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Noxapater.
Miscellaneous Information for Noxapater ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Winston County or the town of Noxapater:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Noxapater:
- GNIS ID for Noxapater: 2407013
- GNIS ID for Winston County: 695800
- GNIS ID for State of Mississippi: 1779790
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Noxapater is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #6 (the East South-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Noxapater.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Mississippi
About Winston County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Noxapater. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Mississippi: https://www.ms.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Mississippi's counties, including Winston, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 350 degrees and a distance of 507 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 125 degrees and a distance of 22.1 feet.|