Census Data for Lula ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Lula a population of 247 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Lula a population of 298 people.
The town of Lula is located in Coahoma County. The 2010 Census gave Coahoma County; a population of 26,151 people. This means that Lula had 1.14% of the county's total population, making it Coahoma's 6th most populous community.
At the same time, Mississippi had a population of 2,967,297 people, meaning that Lula had 0.01% of the total population of Mississippi - making it the state's 256th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Lula has a total area of 0.42 square miles [1.1 km²].
Coahoma County has a land area of 552 square miles [1,430.8 km²]. At 0.42 square miles [1.1 km²], Lula has 0.08% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a town like Lula, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the town.
- Things like population, area and housing for Lula reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Lula might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 34° 27' 16" (or 34.45°)
- Lon: -90° 28' 40" (or -90.48°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Lula had 138 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 298 people, this averages 2.16 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Lula had a land area of 0.42 square miles [1.1 km²]. This translates to 330.9 Housing Units per square mile [127.8 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Lula had 142 Housing Units, a population of 370 people and a land area of 0.42 square miles [1.1 km²]. This gives a density of 2.61 people per Housing Unit and 340.9 Housing Units per square mile [131.6 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Lula and you need to be careful when comparing numbers between the censuses. More information about the nature of these the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Coahoma County ...
The community of Lula is primarily located in Coahoma County<4>. A portion of Lula extends into Tunica County.
The county had a population of 26,151 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 298 people, Lula represented 1.14% of the county's total.
In addition, where the town of Lula has a population density of 714 people per square mile [275.9 people/km²], Coahoma County averages 47.34 people per square mile [18.28 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Coahoma County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Lula, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Lula. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Lula or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Lula, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Lula.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 34.454510° (or 34°27'16" N)
- Lon: -90.477882° (or -90°28'40" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 34.453499° (or 34°27'12" N)
- Lon: -90.478075° (or -90°28'41" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 373.1 feet to the north<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2406057) to Lula. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Lula. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 34.454507° (or 34°27'16" N)
- Lon: -90.477878° (or -90°28'40" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 1.63 feet to the northwest<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Lula. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Lula.
Miscellaneous Information for Lula ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Coahoma County or the town of Lula:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Lula:
- GNIS ID for Lula: 2406057
- GNIS ID for Coahoma County: 695738
- GNIS ID for State of Mississippi: 1779790
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Lula is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #6 (the East South-Central Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a town like Lula, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Lula. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Lula:38644<7>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Lula.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Mississippi
About Coahoma County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Lula. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Mississippi: https://www.ms.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Mississippi's counties, including Coahoma, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 351 degrees and a distance of 373.1 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 47 degrees and a distance of 1.63 feet.|
|<7>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Lula or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|