Welcome to Kokomo ...
Kokomo is located in Marion County<1>.
When the people of Kokomo refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Kokomoan<2>
Kokomo is 350 feet [107 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Kokomo lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Telephone area codes for Kokomo: (601) & (769)<4>
The ZIP code for Kokomo: 39643<5>
Communities Also Named Kokomo ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 8 communities that are also named Kokomo - they are located in Arkansas, Colorado, Hawaii, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, New York and Texas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Kokomo.
Communities near Kokomo ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Kokomo.
- Columbia [Marion County]
- Tylertown [Walthall County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tylertown
- Tylertown [Walthall County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<6> to the southwest of Kokomo
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,419 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Tylertown have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tylertown
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tylertown<7>
- Angie [Washington Parish]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Angie
- Angie [Washington Parish] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<6> to the southeast of Kokomo
- Population from the 2020 Census: 246 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Angie have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Angie
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Angie<7>
- Sartinville [Walthall County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sartinville
- Sartinville [Walthall County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<6> to the northwest of Kokomo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sartinville
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Oak Vale [Jefferson Davis County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oak Vale
- Oak Vale [Jefferson Davis County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<6> to the north of Kokomo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oak Vale
- Topisaw [Pike County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Topisaw
- Topisaw [Pike County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the west of Kokomo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Topisaw
- Holmesville [Pike County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Holmesville
- Holmesville [Pike County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the west of Kokomo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holmesville
- Pinebur [Marion County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pinebur
- Pinebur [Marion County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the east of Kokomo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pinebur
- Pine [Washington Parish]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pine
- Pine [Washington Parish] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<6> to the south of Kokomo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pine
- Arm [Lawrence County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Arm
- Arm [Lawrence County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<6> to the north of Kokomo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Arm
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Kokomo. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Kokomo.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Kokomo. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Kokomo.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Kokomo. See our Newspapers Page for Kokomo.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Kokomo ...
Looking for more information about Kokomo? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Kokomo, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Kokomo.
Adding Kokomo to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Kokomo in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Kokomo was on a map titled Map of Mississippi (from Rand McNally, 1911).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Kokomo on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Mentions & References for Kokomo
Search for a Community in Mississippi
About Marion County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Kokomo. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Mississippi: https://www.ms.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Mississippi's counties, including Marion, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Kokomo refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Kokomo may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Kokomo - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (769) is an overlay for area code (601).|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Kokomo). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Kokomo or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Kokomo) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Kokomo. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from KokomoOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kokomo. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.1973, Longitude: -90.0030 |
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|