Welcome to Ethel ...
The town of Ethel is located in Attala County<1>.
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Ethel has a population of 385 people<2> (see below for details).
We don't have a date for the establishment of Ethel.
Ethel is 420 feet [128 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Ethel lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Ethel is within the (662) area code.
The ZIP code for Ethel: 39067<4>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Ethel had an population of 385 people. This is a decrease of 7.89% since the 2010 Census (or a decrease of 14.82% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Ethel had a population of 418 people. This makes Ethel the county's 2nd most populous community.
The population of Ethel represents 0.01% of the population of Mississippi (which has 2,967,297 people), making it the state's 233rd most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 418 people, the population of Ethel decreased 7.52% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 452 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Ethel.
Adding Ethel to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
We originally found mention of Ethel in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, we also found mention of Ethel elsewhere: The earliest book where we found it mentioned was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Ethel on a Rand McNally Map (1911).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Ethel on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Ethel ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 20 communities that are also named Ethel - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia (2), Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Ontario, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington (2) and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Ethel.
Communities near Ethel ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Ethel.
- Kosciusko [Attala County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kosciusko
- Kosciusko [Attala County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Ethel
- Estimated population in 2019: 6,720 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kosciusko have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kosciusko
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Kosciusko<7>
- Weir [Choctaw County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Weir
- Weir [Choctaw County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the northeast of Ethel
- Estimated population in 2019: 427 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Weir have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Weir
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Weir<7>
- French Camp [Choctaw County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for French Camp
- French Camp [Choctaw County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the north of Ethel
- Estimated population in 2019: 165 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for French Camp have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on French Camp
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for French Camp<7>
- West [Holmes County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Sallis [Attala County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sallis
- Sallis [Attala County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the southwest of Ethel
- Estimated population in 2019: 128 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sallis have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sallis
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sallis<7>
- McCool [Attala County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for McCool
- McCool [Attala County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the northeast of Ethel
- Estimated population in 2019: 124 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McCool
- Possumneck [Attala County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Possumneck
- Possumneck [Attala County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the west of Ethel
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Possumneck
- Bankston [Choctaw County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bankston
- Bankston [Choctaw County] was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the north of Ethel
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Bankston. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Ackerman [Choctaw County]
- Newport [Attala County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Newport
- Newport [Attala County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the southwest of Ethel
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Newport have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Newport
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Ethel. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Ethel.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Ethel. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Ethel.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Ethel. See our Newspapers Page for Ethel.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Ethel ...
Looking for more information about Ethel? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Ethel, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Ethel.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Mississippi
About Attala County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Ethel. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Mississippi: https://www.ms.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Mississippi's counties, including Attala, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Ethel.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Ethel - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a town (such as Ethel). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Ethel or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Ethel) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Ethel. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Ethel
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ethel. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.1246, Longitude: -89.4656
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|