Census Data for Calhoun City ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Calhoun City a population of 1,669 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Calhoun City a population of 1,774 people.
The town of Calhoun City is located in Calhoun County. The 2010 Census gave Calhoun County; a population of 14,962 people. This means that Calhoun City had 11.86% of the county's total population, making it Calhoun's 2nd most populous community.
At the same time, Mississippi had a population of 2,967,297 people, meaning that Calhoun City had 0.06% of the total population of Mississippi - making it the state's 118th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Calhoun City has a total area of 2.37 square miles [6.1 km²]. Of this total, a small amount of the area is covered by water (0.02 square miles [0 km²]).
Calhoun County has a land area of 586 square miles [1,519.2 km²]. At 2.36 square miles [6.1 km²], Calhoun City has 0.4% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a town like Calhoun City, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the town.
- Things like population, area and housing for Calhoun City reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Calhoun City might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 33° 51' 33" (or 33.86°)
- Lon: -89° 18' 52" (or -89.31°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Calhoun City had 801 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 1,774 people, this averages 2.21 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Calhoun City had a land area of 2.36 square miles [6.1 km²]. This translates to 337.5 Housing Units per square mile [130.3 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Calhoun City had 827 Housing Units, a population of 1,872 people and a land area of 2.37 square miles [6.1 km²]. This gives a density of 2.26 people per Housing Unit and 344.4 Housing Units per square mile [133 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 Census and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Calhoun City and you need to be careful when comparing results between the censuses. More information about the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Calhoun County ...
The community of Calhoun City is located in Calhoun County<4>.
The county had a population of 14,962 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 1,774 people, Calhoun City represented 11.86% of the county's total.
In addition, where the town of Calhoun City has a population density of 747 people per square mile [288.6 people/km²], Calhoun County averages 25.51 people per square mile [9.85 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Calhoun County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Calhoun City, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Calhoun City. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Calhoun City or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Calhoun City, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Calhoun City.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 33.859350° (or 33°51'33" N)
- Lon: -89.314619° (or -89°18'52" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 33.856865° (or 33°51'24" N)
- Lon: -89.313342° (or -89°18'48" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 985 feet to the northwest<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2405363) to Calhoun City. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Calhoun City. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 33.858645° (or 33°51'31" N)
- Lon: -89.314425° (or -89°18'51" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 263.7 feet to the north<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Calhoun City. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Calhoun City.
Miscellaneous Information for Calhoun City ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Calhoun County or the town of Calhoun City:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Calhoun City:
- GNIS ID for Calhoun City: 2405363
- GNIS ID for Calhoun County: 695731
- GNIS ID for State of Mississippi: 1779790
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Calhoun City is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #6 (the East South-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Calhoun City.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Mississippi
About Calhoun County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Calhoun City. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Mississippi: https://www.ms.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Mississippi's counties, including Calhoun, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 23 degrees and a distance of 985 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 12 degrees and a distance of 263.7 feet.|