Census Data for Beauregard ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Beauregard a population of 324 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Beauregard a population of 326 people.
The village of Beauregard is located in Copiah County. The 2010 Census gave Copiah County; a population of 29,449 people. This means that Beauregard had 1.11% of the county's total population, making it Copiah's 4th most populous community.
At the same time, Mississippi had a population of 2,967,297 people, meaning that Beauregard had 0.01% of the total population of Mississippi - making it the state's 245th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Beauregard has a total area of 0.92 square miles [2.4 km²]. Of this total, a small amount of the area is covered by water (0 square miles [0 km²]).
Copiah County has a land area of 777 square miles [2,013.1 km²]. At 0.92 square miles [2.4 km²], Beauregard has 0.12% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a village like Beauregard, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the village.
- Things like population, area and housing for Beauregard reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Beauregard might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 31° 43' 4" (or 31.72°)
- Lon: -90° 23' 19" (or -90.39°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Beauregard had 111 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 326 people, this averages 2.94 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Beauregard had a land area of 0.92 square miles [2.4 km²]. This translates to 120.1 Housing Units per square mile [46.38 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Beauregard had 94 Housing Units, a population of 265 people and a land area of 0.91 square miles [2.4 km²]. This gives a density of 2.82 people per Housing Unit and 102 Housing Units per square mile [39.39 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Beauregard and you need to be careful when comparing values between the censuses. More information about the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Copiah County ...
The community of Beauregard is located in Copiah County<4>.
The county had a population of 29,449 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 326 people, Beauregard represented 1.11% of the county's total.
In addition, where the village of Beauregard has a population density of 352.8 people per square mile [136.2 people/km²], Copiah County averages 37.89 people per square mile [14.63 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Copiah County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Beauregard, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Beauregard. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Beauregard or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Beauregard, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Beauregard.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 31.717793° (or 31°43'4" N)
- Lon: -90.388687° (or -90°23'19" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 31.721549° (or 31°43'17" N)
- Lon: -90.388096° (or -90°23'17" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 1,381 feet to the south<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2407416) to Beauregard. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Beauregard. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 31.720984° (or 31°43'15" N)
- Lon: -90.385876° (or -90°23'9" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 1,453 feet to the southwest<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Beauregard. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Beauregard.
Miscellaneous Information for Beauregard ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Copiah County or the village of Beauregard:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Beauregard:
- GNIS ID for Beauregard: 2407416
- GNIS ID for Copiah County: 695739
- GNIS ID for State of Mississippi: 1779790
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Beauregard is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #6 (the East South-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Beauregard.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Mississippi Community
About Copiah County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Beauregard. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Mississippi: https://www.ms.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Mississippi's counties, including Copiah, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 172 degrees and a distance of 1,381 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 143 degrees and a distance of 1,453 feet.|