Census Data for Westwood ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Westwood a population of 281 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Westwood a population of 278 people.
The village of Westwood is located in Saint Louis County. The 2010 Census gave Saint Louis County; a population of 998,954 people. This means that Westwood had 0.03% of the county's total population, making it Saint Louis' 83rd most populous community.
At the same time, Missouri had a population of 5,988,927 people.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Westwood has a total area of 0.61 square miles [1.6 km²].
Saint Louis County has a land area of 507 square miles [1,315.2 km²]. At 0.61 square miles [1.6 km²], Westwood has 0.12% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a village like Westwood, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the village.
- Things like population, area and housing for Westwood reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Westwood might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 38° 38' 35" (or 38.64°)
- Lon: -90° 25' 59" (or -90.43°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Westwood had 125 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 278 people, this averages 2.22 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Westwood had a land area of 0.61 square miles [1.6 km²]. This translates to 205.3 Housing Units per square mile [79.2 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Westwood had 128 Housing Units, a population of 284 people and a land area of 0.63 square miles [1.6 km²]. This gives a density of 2.22 people per Housing Unit and 204.5 Housing Units per square mile [79 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 Census and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Westwood and you need to be careful when comparing numbers between the censuses. More information about the nature of these the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Saint Louis County ...
The community of Westwood is located in Saint Louis County<4>.
The county had a population of 998,954 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 278 people, Westwood represented 0.03% of the county's total.
In addition, where the village of Westwood has a population density of 456.5 people per square mile [176.3 people/km²], Saint Louis County averages 1,967 people per square mile [759 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Saint Louis County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Westwood, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Westwood. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Westwood or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Westwood, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Westwood.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 38.643330° (or 38°38'35" N)
- Lon: -90.433278° (or -90°25'59" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 38.640619° (or 38°38'26" N)
- Lon: -90.434286° (or -90°26'3" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 1,029 feet to the north<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2400158) to Westwood. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Westwood. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 38.643443° (or 38°38'36" N)
- Lon: -90.433411° (or -90°26'0" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 56 feet to the southeast<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Westwood. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Westwood.
Miscellaneous Information for Westwood ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Saint Louis County or the village of Westwood:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Westwood:
- GNIS ID for Westwood: 2400158
- GNIS ID for Saint Louis County: 758549
- GNIS ID for State of Missouri: 1779791
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Westwood is located in Census Region #2 (the Midwest Region) and Division #4 (the West North-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Westwood.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Missouri
About Saint Louis County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Westwood. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Saint Louis County: www.co.st-louis.mo.us/
The official website for State of Missouri: https://www.mo.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Missouri's counties, including Saint Louis, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 343 degrees and a distance of 1,029 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 222 degrees and a distance of 56 feet.|