Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Port Hope, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Port Hope and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Port Hope:
- 43.941059, -82.712595
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Port Hope
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Huron County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Huron County
- Since Port Hope is near Sanilac County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Sanilac County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Port Hope ...
We have found two communities that share the name Port Hope.
Within Michigan, the name Port Hope is unique.
Beyond Michigan, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States and Canada. Of these two communities, one is located in the United States and the other in Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- This Port Hope lies 219 miles [352.4 km]<1> to the east of the Port Hope that is located in Huron County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Port Hope
- Columbia County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Wisconsin community of Port Hope [Columbia County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Port Hope ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bad Axe [Huron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bad Axe
- Bad Axe [Huron County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Port Hope
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,889 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bad Axe have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bad Axe
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bad Axe<4>
- Forestville [Sanilac County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forestville
- Forestville [Sanilac County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the south of Port Hope
- Population from the 2020 Census: 126 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forestville
- Grindstone City [Huron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grindstone City
- Grindstone City [Huron County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Port Hope
- Grindstone City has also been known as:
- Grind Stone City
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grindstone City
- Harbor Beach [Huron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harbor Beach
- Harbor Beach [Huron County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the southeast of Port Hope
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,570 people
- Former name for Harbor Beach:
- Sand Beach
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Harbor Beach
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Harbor Beach<4>
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Helena [Huron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Helena
- Helena [Huron County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the south of Port Hope
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Helena have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Helena
- Lewisville [Huron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lewisville
- Lewisville [Huron County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the west of Port Hope
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lewisville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lewisville
- Parisville [Huron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Parisville
- Parisville [Huron County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the south of Port Hope
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Parisville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Parisville
- Redman [Huron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Redman
- Redman [Huron County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the west of Port Hope
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Redman
How Far From Port Hope to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Port Hope to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Port Hope and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Bad Axe, which is the Seat of Huron County and lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the west southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Port Hope to Bad Axe, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take five to six hours.
- Lansing, which is the State Capital of Michigan, lies 124 miles [199.6 km] to the southwest (SW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take about two hours, a buggy would take 5 days and walking would take 7 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 455 miles [732.3 km] to the southeast (SE). Driving would take most of a day, a buggy would take 18 days and walking would take 26 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,903 miles [9,500 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,638 miles [10,682.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,520 miles [7,274.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Michigan
About Huron County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Port Hope. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Michigan: https://www.michigan.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Port Hope) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Port Hope. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Port HopeOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Port Hope. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.9411, Longitude: -82.7126 |
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Port Hope could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Port Hope to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 311.125 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 307.878 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 305.432 degrees.||