Below is our collection of tidbits, odds 'n ends for Media.
This page contains eight sections:
Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Media, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Media and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Media:
- 40.769449, -90.832651
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Media
- Waymarking ...
Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Media ...
We have found five communities that share the name Media.
Within Illinois, the name Media is unique.
Beyond Illinois, we know of another five communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
This Media is located in Jefferson County and lies 532 miles [856.2 km]<1> to the south southeast of the Media that is located in Henderson County.
- Link to Google Map centered on Media
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Jefferson County community of Media.
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Kansas community of Media [Douglas County].
- This community is historic<3> and although located in Belmont County, we don't know where within the county.
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Belmont County community of Media.
- This Media is located in Delaware County and lies 813 miles [1,308.4 km]<1> to the east of the Media that is located in Henderson County.
- Link to Google Map centered on Media
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Delaware County community of Media.
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Washington community of Media [Pierce County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Media ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- View Our List ...
Biggsville lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the north of Media
- Link to Google Map centered on Biggsville
- Gulf Port
Gulf Port lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the west of Media
- Link to Google Map centered on Gulf Port
Heapsville lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the west of Media
- Link to Google Map centered on Heapsville
Hopper lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the west of Media
- Link to Google Map centered on Hopper
- Iowa Junction
Iowa Junction lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the southwest of Media
- Link to Google Map centered on Iowa Junction
- Lone Tree
Lone Tree lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Media
- Link to Google Map centered on Lone Tree
Reeds lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the north of Media
- Link to Google Map centered on Reeds
Roseville [Warren County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the east of Media
- Link to Google Map centered on Roseville
- Silver Lake (Historic)
Silver Lake was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the west of Media
- Link to Google Map centered on Silver Lake
- Swan Creek
Swan Creek [Warren County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Media
- Link to Google Map centered on Swan Creek
- Yellow Banks
Yellow Banks lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the west of Media
- Link to Google Map centered on Yellow Banks
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Media. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
Vernon G. 'Tony' Baker (Professional football)
Professional football. He was born in Burlington (Iowa) on Friday February 16, 1945 and died in Mediapolis (Iowa) on Sunday August 9, 1998 at the age of 53. He is buried at Aspen Grove Cemetery (Des Moines County, Iowa).
- Burlington is located 15 miles [24.1 km] to the west of Media.
- Mediapolis is located 23 miles [37 km] to the northwest of Media.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Vernon G. 'Tony' Baker<4>
- Virginia Cherrill (Actress)
Actress. She was born in Carthage (Illinois) on Sunday April 12, 1908 and died in Santa Barbara (California) on Thursday November 14, 1996 at the age of 88. She is buried at Santa Barbara Cemetery (Santa Barbara County, California).
- Carthage is located 29 miles [46.7 km] to the southwest of Media.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Virginia Cherrill<4>
- Lawrence 'Larry' Conley (Musician)
- William C. Frawley (Actor)
- Earl Homer 'Whitey' Sheely (Professional baseball)
Professional baseball. He was born in Bushnell (Illinois) on Sunday February 12, 1893 and died in Seattle (Washington) on Tueday September 16, 1952 at the age of 59. He is buried at East Lawn Memorial Park (Sacramento County, California).
- Bushnell is located 22 miles [35.4 km] to the southeast of Media.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Earl Homer 'Whitey' Sheely<4>
- George Thomas 'Firebrand' Stovall (Major League Baseball)
How Far From Media to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Media to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Media and extending to:
- View Our List ...
Oquawka, which is the Seat of Henderson County and lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the north northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Media to Oquawka, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km]<1> per hour, it would take 6 hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km]<1> per hour would take four to five hours.
Springfield, which is the State Capital of Illinois, lies 92 miles [148.1 km]<1> to the southeast (SE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km]<1> per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 6 days.
The White House (Washington, DC) is 742 miles [1,194.1 km]<1> to the east (E). Driving would take just about two full days, a buggy would take 29 days and walking would take 43 days.
The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,353 miles [10,224.2 km]<1> and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,095 miles [11,418.3 km]<1> and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,981 miles [8,016.1 km]<1> and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Illinois
About Henderson County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Media. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Illinois: https://illinois.gov
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Media) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Media. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Media
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Media. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 40.7694, Longitude: -90.8327 [Map]. In this case, the coordinates for Media have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Media could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Media, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Media to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 316.562 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 313.608 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 310.447 degrees.||