Welcome to Aurora ...
The city of Aurora is primarily located in Kane County<1>. A portion of Aurora extends into DuPage County, Kendall County and Will County.
The pronunciation of Aurora: uh-ROHR-uh<2>
When the people of Aurora refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Auroran<3>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Aurora has a population of 197,757 people<4> (see below for details).
Aurora was established in 1835.
The community of Aurora is 720 feet [219 m] above sea level.<5>.
Time Zone: Aurora lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Area codes for Aurora: (630) and (331)<6>
The ZIP codes for Aurora: 60504-60568, 60572, 60598<7>
Websites for Aurora ...
Official Website: www.aurora-il.org/
Chamber of Commerce: www.aurorachamber.com/
Junior League: www.jlkd.org/
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Aurora had an population of 197,757 people (or an increase of 38.3% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Aurora had a population of 197,899 people (which is 38.41% of the total population of Kane County). This makes Aurora the county's most populous community.
The population of Aurora represents 1.54% of the population of Illinois (which has 12,830,632 people), making it the state's 2nd most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 197,899 people, the population of Aurora increased 38.4% from the 2000 Census (which had a count of 142,990 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Aurora.
Adding Aurora to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Aurora in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Aurora was
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Aurora on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Aurora ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 44 communities that are also named Aurora - they are located in Alabama, Alaska (2), Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida (2), Georgia, Indiana, Iowa (2), Kansas (7), Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota (2), Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico (3), New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas (2), Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin (2) and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Aurora.
Communities near Aurora ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Aurora.
- Naperville [DuPage County]
- Elgin [Kane County]
- Bolingbrook [Will County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bolingbrook
- Bolingbrook [Will County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<8> to the east of Aurora
- Estimated population in 2019: 74,545 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bolingbrook have been provided by the GNIS.<10> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bolingbrook
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bolingbrook<9>
- Wheaton [DuPage County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wheaton
- Wheaton [DuPage County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<8> to the northeast of Aurora
- Estimated population in 2019: 52,745 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wheaton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wheaton<9>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Downers Grove [DuPage County]
- Plainfield [Will County]
- Lombard [DuPage County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lombard
- Lombard [DuPage County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<8> to the northeast of Aurora
- Estimated population in 2019: 44,303 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lombard have been provided by the GNIS.<10> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lombard
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lombard<9>
- Bartlett [DuPage County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bartlett
- Bartlett [DuPage County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<8> to the northeast of Aurora
- Estimated population in 2019: 40,647 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bartlett have been provided by the GNIS.<10> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bartlett
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bartlett<9>
- Romeoville [Will County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Romeoville
- Romeoville [Will County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<8> to the southeast of Aurora
- Estimated population in 2019: 39,746 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Romeoville have been provided by the GNIS.<10> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Romeoville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Romeoville<9>
- Streamwood [Cook County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Streamwood
- Streamwood [Cook County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<8> to the north of Aurora
- Estimated population in 2019: 39,228 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Streamwood have been provided by the GNIS.<10> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Streamwood
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Streamwood<9>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Aurora. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Aurora.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Aurora. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Aurora.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Aurora. Our list includes 60 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Aurora.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Aurora ...
Looking for more information about Aurora? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Aurora, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Aurora.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Illinois
About Kane County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Aurora: www.aurora-il.org/
The official website for Kane County: www.co.kane.il.us/
The official website for State of Illinois: https://illinois.gov
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Illinois' counties, including Kane, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Aurora. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Aurora refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Aurora may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Aurora.|
|<5>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Aurora - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<6>||Area code (331) is an overlay for area code (630).|
|<7>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Aurora). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Aurora or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
Our list of ZIP Codes for Aurora includes: 60504, 60505, 60506, 60507, 60508, 60509, 60510, 60511, 60512, 60513, 60514, 60515, 60516, 60517, 60518, 60519, 60520, 60521, 60522, 60523, 60524, 60525, 60526, 60527, 60528, 60529, 60530, 60531, 60532, 60533, 60534, 60535, 60536, 60537, 60538, 60539, 60540, 60541, 60542, 60543, 60544, 60545, 60546, 60547, 60548, 60549, 60550, 60551, 60552, 60553, 60554, 60555, 60556, 60557, 60558, 60559, 60560, 60561, 60562, 60563, 60564, 60565, 60566, 60567, 60572 & 60598.
|<8>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Aurora) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Aurora. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AuroraOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Aurora. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.7582, Longitude: -88.3150 |
|<9>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<10>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|