Census Data for Cartersville ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Cartersville a population of 21,798 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Cartersville a population of 19,731 people.
The city of Cartersville is located in Bartow County. The 2010 Census gave Bartow County; a population of 100,157 people. This means that Cartersville had 19.7% of the county's total population, making it Bartow's most populous community.
At the same time, Georgia had a population of 9,687,653 people, meaning that Cartersville had 0.2% of the total population of Georgia - making it the state's 36th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Cartersville has a total area of 29.32 square miles [75.9 km²]. Of this total, a small amount of the area is covered by water (0.17 square miles [0.4 km²]).
Bartow County has a land area of 459.5 square miles [1,190.2 km²]. At 29.15 square miles [75.5 km²], Cartersville has 6.34% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a city like Cartersville, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the city.
- Things like population, area and housing for Cartersville reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Cartersville might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 34° 9' 46" (or 34.16°)
- Lon: -84° 48' 1" (or -84.8°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Cartersville had 8,171 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 19,731 people, this averages 2.41 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Cartersville had a land area of 29.15 square miles [75.5 km²]. This translates to 278.7 Housing Units per square mile [107.6 housing units/km²].
Bartow County ...
The community of Cartersville is located in Bartow County<4> and is the County Seat for Bartow County.
The county had a population of 100,157 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 19,731 people, Cartersville represented 19.7% of the county's total.
In addition, where the city of Cartersville has a population density of 672 people per square mile [259.8 people/km²], Bartow County averages 217.9 people per square mile [84.2 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Bartow County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Cartersville, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Cartersville. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Cartersville or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Cartersville, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Cartersville.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 34.162947° (or 34°9'46" N)
- Lon: -84.800415° (or -84°48'1" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 34.176405° (or 34°10'35" N)
- Lon: -84.803916° (or -84°48'14" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 5,018 feet to the south<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2404002) to Cartersville. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Cartersville. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 34.162440° (or 34°9'44" N)
- Lon: -84.801915° (or -84°48'6" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 488.8 feet to the northeast<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Cartersville. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Cartersville.
Miscellaneous Information for Cartersville ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Bartow County or the city of Cartersville:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Cartersville:
- GNIS ID for Cartersville: 2404002
- GNIS ID for Bartow County: 351604
- GNIS ID for State of Georgia: 1705317
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Cartersville is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #5 (the South Atlantic Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a city like Cartersville, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Cartersville. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Cartersville:30120-30121<7>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Cartersville.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Georgia
About Bartow County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Cartersville: www.cityofcartersville.org/
The official website for Bartow County: www.bartowga.org/
The official website for State of Georgia: https://georgia.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Georgia's counties, including Bartow, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 192 degrees and a distance of 5,018 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 292 degrees and a distance of 488.8 feet.|
|<7>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Cartersville or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|