Census Data for Calhoun ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Calhoun a population of 17,226 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Calhoun a population of 15,650 people.
The city of Calhoun is located in Gordon County. The 2010 Census gave Gordon County; a population of 55,186 people. This means that Calhoun had 28.36% of the county's total population, making it Gordon's most populous community.
At the same time, Georgia had a population of 9,687,653 people, meaning that Calhoun had 0.16% of the total population of Georgia - making it the state's 51st most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Calhoun has a total area of 15.03 square miles [38.9 km²]. Of this total, a small amount of the area is covered by water (0.1 square miles [0.2 km²]).
Gordon County has a land area of 355.8 square miles [921.5 km²]. At 14.93 square miles [38.7 km²], Calhoun has 4.2% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a city like Calhoun, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the city.
- Things like population, area and housing for Calhoun reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Calhoun might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 34° 28' 59" (or 34.48°)
- Lon: -84° 56' 42" (or -84.95°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Calhoun had 6,609 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 15,650 people, this averages 2.37 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Calhoun had a land area of 14.93 square miles [38.7 km²]. This translates to 439.8 Housing Units per square mile [169.8 housing units/km²].
Gordon County ...
The community of Calhoun is located in Gordon County<4> and is the County Seat for Gordon County.
The county had a population of 55,186 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 15,650 people, Calhoun represented 28.36% of the county's total.
In addition, where the city of Calhoun has a population density of 1,041 people per square mile [402.1 people/km²], Gordon County averages 155.1 people per square mile [59.9 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Gordon County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Calhoun, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Calhoun. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Calhoun or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Calhoun, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Calhoun.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 34.483191° (or 34°28'59" N)
- Lon: -84.945080° (or -84°56'42" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 34.499898° (or 34°29'59" N)
- Lon: -84.942584° (or -84°56'33" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 6,137 feet to the south<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2403967) to Calhoun. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Calhoun. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 34.498455° (or 34°29'54" N)
- Lon: -84.935711° (or -84°56'8" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 6,236 feet to the southwest<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Calhoun. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Calhoun.
Miscellaneous Information for Calhoun ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Gordon County or the city of Calhoun:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Calhoun:
- GNIS ID for Calhoun: 2403967
- GNIS ID for Gordon County: 356672
- GNIS ID for State of Georgia: 1705317
- The FIPS Codes ...
- An earlier (and largely obsolete) identification method was called the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS):
- State Code: 13 (Georgia)
- County Code: 129 (Gordon County)
- Place Code: 12456 (Calhoun)
- State & County Code: 13/129 (Georgia / Gordon County)
- State & Place Code: 13/12456 (Georgia / Calhoun)
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Calhoun is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #5 (the South Atlantic Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used ZIP codes to identify a community, the ZIP codes were actually created to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although a ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a city like Calhoun, they do identify addresses that are in (or near) the city. It's important to remember that the boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- Our list of ZIP codes for Calhoun:<7>
- & .
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Calhoun.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Georgia
About Gordon County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Calhoun: www.cityofcalhoun-ga.com/
The official website for Gordon County: www.gordoncounty.org/
The official website for State of Georgia: https://georgia.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Georgia's counties, including Gordon, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 172 degrees and a distance of 6,137 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 153 degrees and a distance of 6,236 feet.|
|<7>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Calhoun or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|