Welcome to Absalom ...
So far, we have found very little information about Absalom. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Absalom to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Absalom, please Contact Us.
Absalom would have been located within present day Hall County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Absalom, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Absalom is 1,180 feet [360 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: The area where Absalom was located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Absalom once stood is in the (770) area code.
Communities near Absalom ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Absalom.
- Gainesville [Hall County]
- Gainesville Mills [Hall County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gainesville Mills
- Gainesville Mills [Hall County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the east of Absalom
- Estimated population in 2019: 43,232 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gainesville Mills have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gainesville Mills
- Sugar Hill [Gwinnett County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sugar Hill
- Sugar Hill [Gwinnett County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Absalom
- Population from the 2020 Census: 25,132 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sugar Hill
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sugar Hill<6>
- Suwanee [Gwinnett County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Suwanee
- Suwanee [Gwinnett County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the southwest of Absalom
- Population from the 2020 Census: 21,803 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Suwanee have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Suwanee
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Suwanee<6>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Buford [Gwinnett County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Buford
- Buford [Gwinnett County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Absalom
- Population from the 2020 Census: 15,750 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Buford
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Buford<6>
- Braselton [Barrow County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Braselton
- Braselton [Barrow County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the southeast of Absalom
- Population from the 2020 Census: 13,725 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Braselton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Braselton<6>
- Gaines Ferry [Hall County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gaines Ferry
- Gaines Ferry [Hall County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the southwest of Absalom
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gaines Ferry have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gaines Ferry
- Flowery Branch [Hall County]
- Auburn [Barrow County]
- Dahlonega [Lumpkin County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Absalom. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Absalom.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Absalom. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Absalom.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Absalom. See our Newspapers Page for Absalom.
Adding Absalom to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Absalom in the GNIS. For more information, see the Referenced GNIS Codes section on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Absalom was on a map (with an unknown title) dated 1883.
We also found Absalom in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Absalom on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Georgia
About Hall County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Hall County: www.hallcounty.org/
The official website for State of Georgia: https://georgia.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Absalom, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Georgia's counties, including Hall, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Absalom - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Absalom) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Absalom. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AbsalomOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Absalom. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 34.2736, Longitude: -83.9151 In this case, the coordinates for Absalom have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|