Welcome to Ames ...
So far, we have found very little information about Ames. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Ames to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Ames, please Contact Us.
Ames would have been located within present day San Miguel County<2>.
The location of Ames has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
When the people of Ames referred to themselves (known as a demonym), they are believed to have used Amesite<4>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Ames is 8,720 feet [2,658 m] above sea level.<5> In other words, the altitude of Ames is about 1¾ mile [or ~2¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Ames was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Ames once stood is in the (970) area code.
Communities Also Named Ames ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 17 communities that are also named Ames - they are located in Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan (2), Minnesota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas (2) and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Ames.
Communities near Ames ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Ames.
- Telluride [San Miguel County]
- Mountain Village [San Miguel County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mountain Village have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mountain Village
- Mountain Village [San Miguel County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<6> to the north of Ames
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,426 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain Village
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mountain Village<7>
- Ouray [Ouray County]
- Silverton [San Juan County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Rico [Dolores County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rico have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rico
- Rico [Dolores County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<6> to the southwest of Ames
- Estimated population in 2019: 231 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rico
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rico<7>
- Sawpit [San Miguel County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sawpit
- Sawpit [San Miguel County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<6> to the northwest of Ames
- Estimated population in 2019: 39 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sawpit
- Keystone [San Miguel County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Keystone
- Keystone [San Miguel County] was located 5 miles [8 km]<6> to the north of Ames
- Liberty Bell [San Miguel County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Liberty Bell
- Liberty Bell [San Miguel County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the northeast of Ames
- San Miguel [San Miguel County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for San Miguel
- San Miguel [San Miguel County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the northeast of Ames
- Chattanooga [San Juan County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chattanooga
- Chattanooga [San Juan County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<6> to the east of Ames
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Ames. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Ames.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Ames. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Ames.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Ames. See our Newspapers Page for Ames.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Colorado
About San Miguel County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for San Miguel County: www.sanmiguelcounty.org/
The official website for State of Colorado: https://www.colorado.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Ames, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Colorado's counties, including San Miguel, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Ames refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Ames may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<5>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Ames - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Ames) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ames. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.8647, Longitude: -107.8823 In this case, the coordinates for Ames have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|