Welcome to Midland ...
So far, we have found very little information about Midland. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Midland to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Midland, please Contact Us.
Midland would have been located within present day Riverside County<2>.
When the people of Midland referred to themselves (known as a demonym), they are believed to have used Midlander<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Midland is 980 feet [299 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: The area where Midland was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you leave Midland and travel south, you will leave Pacific Time and cross into the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST). In addition, you will be moving from an area that observes daylight saving time to one that does not.
Midland would have been located in the (760) and (442)<5> area codes.
Communities Also Named Midland ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 38 communities that are also named Midland - they are located in Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa (2), Kansas (4), Kentucky (2), Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Brunswick, New Jersey, Newfoundland and Labrador, North Carolina, Ohio, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania (2), South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Midland.
Communities near Midland ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Midland.
- Mesa Verde [Riverside County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mesa Verde
- Mesa Verde [Riverside County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the south of Midland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mesa Verde
- Blythe [Riverside County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blythe
- Blythe [Riverside County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<6> to the southeast of Midland
- Estimated population in 2019: 19,682 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blythe
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Blythe<7>
- East Blythe [Riverside County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for East Blythe
- East Blythe [Riverside County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<6> to the southeast of Midland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on East Blythe
- Ehrenberg [La Paz County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Olive City [La Paz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Olive City
- Olive City [La Paz County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<6> to the southeast of Midland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Olive City have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Olive City has also been known as:
- Bradshaw's Ferry
- Poston [La Paz County]
- Vidal [San Bernardino County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vidal
- Vidal [San Bernardino County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<6> to the northeast of Midland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Vidal have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vidal
- Morgantown [La Paz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Morgantown
- Morgantown [La Paz County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<6> to the southeast of Midland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Morgantown
- Palo Verde [Imperial County]
- Big River [San Bernardino County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We're compiling a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Midland. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Midland.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Midland. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Midland.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Midland. See our Newspapers Page for Midland.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for California
About Riverside County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Riverside County: www.co.riverside.ca.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Midland, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Riverside, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Midland refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Midland may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Midland - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Area code (442) is an overlay for area code (760).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Midland) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Midland. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Midland
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Midland. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.8615, Longitude: -114.8021
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|