Welcome to Fresno ...
The city of Fresno is located in Fresno County<1> and is the County Seat for Fresno County.
When the people of Fresno refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Fresnan<2>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Fresno has a population of 531,576 people<3> (see below for details).
Fresno was established in 1872 and was incorporated October 12, 1885.
The community of Fresno is 310 feet [94 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: Fresno lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Fresno is within the (559) area code.
The ZIP codes for Fresno: 93650, 93701-93712, 93714-93718, 93720-93722, 93724-93729, 93740-93741, 93744-93745, 93747, 93750, 93755, 93760-93762, 93764-93765, 93771-93780, 93784, 93786, 93790-93794, 93844, 93888<5>
Websites for Fresno ...
Official Website: www.fresno.gov/
Chamber of Commerce: www.fresnochamber.com/
Junior League: www.jlfresno.org/
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Fresno had an population of 531,576 people. This is an increase of 7.46% since the 2010 Census (or an increase of 24.3% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Fresno had a population of 494,665 people (or 53.16% of the total population of Fresno County). This makes Fresno the county's most populous community.
The population of Fresno represents 1.33% of the population of California (which has 37,253,956 people), making it the state's 5th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 494,665 people, the population of Fresno increased 15.67% from the 2000 Census (which had a count of 427,652 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Fresno.
Communities Also Named Fresno ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 7 communities that are also named Fresno - they are located in Arkansas (2), Montana, Nevada, Ohio and Texas (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Fresno.
Communities near Fresno ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Fresno.
- Sanger [Fresno County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sanger
- Sanger [Fresno County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<6> to the southeast of Fresno
- Estimated population in 2019: 25,339 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sanger
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sanger<7>
- Selma [Fresno County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Selma
- Selma [Fresno County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the southeast of Fresno
- Estimated population in 2019: 24,825 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Selma
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Selma<7>
- Parlier [Fresno County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Parlier
- Parlier [Fresno County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the southeast of Fresno
- Estimated population in 2019: 15,618 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Parlier
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Parlier<7>
- Kerman [Fresno County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Fowler [Fresno County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fowler
- Fowler [Fresno County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<6> to the southeast of Fresno
- Estimated population in 2019: 6,790 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fowler
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Fowler<7>
- Pinedale [Fresno County]
- Calwa [Fresno County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Calwa
- Calwa [Fresno County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<6> to the south of Fresno
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Calwa
- Highway City [Fresno County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Highway City have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Highway City
- Highway City [Fresno County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the west of Fresno
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highway City
- Gordon [Fresno County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gordon
- Gordon [Fresno County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the north of Fresno
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gordon
- Lone Star [Fresno County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lone Star
- Lone Star [Fresno County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the southeast of Fresno
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lone Star
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Fresno. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Fresno.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Fresno. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Fresno.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Fresno. Our list includes 55 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Fresno.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Fresno ...
Looking for more information about Fresno? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Fresno, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Fresno.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of California
About Fresno County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Fresno: www.fresno.gov/
The official website for Fresno County: www.co.fresno.ca.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Fresno, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Fresno refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Fresno may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Fresno.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Fresno - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Fresno). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Fresno or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
Our list of ZIP Codes for Fresno includes: 93650, 93701, 93702, 93703, 93704, 93705, 93706, 93707, 93708, 93709, 93710, 93711, 93714, 93715, 93716, 93717, 93720, 93721, 93724, 93725, 93726, 93727, 93728, 93740, 93744, 93747, 93750, 93755, 93760, 93761, 93764, 93771, 93772, 93773, 93774, 93775, 93776, 93777, 93778, 93779, 93784, 93786, 93790, 93791, 93792, 93793, 93844 & 93888.
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Fresno) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fresno. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Fresno
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fresno. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 36.7869, Longitude: -119.7634
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|