Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Blythe, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Blythe and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Blythe:
- 33.614033, -114.596926
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Blythe
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Blythe ...
We have found four communities that share the name Blythe.
Within California, the name Blythe is unique.
Beyond California, we know of another four communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Richmond County
- This Blythe is located in Richmond County and lies 1,858 miles [2,990.2 km]<1> to the east of the Blythe that is located in Riverside County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blythe
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Richmond County community of Blythe.
- Monroe County
- This Blythe is located in Monroe County and lies 1,647 miles [2,650.6 km]<1> to the east northeast of the Blythe that is located in Riverside County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blythe
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Monroe County community of Blythe.
- DeSoto County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Mississippi community of Blythe [DeSoto County].
- Cascade County
- This Blythe is located in Cascade County and lies 965 miles [1,553 km]<1> to the north of the Blythe that is located in Riverside County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blythe
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Cascade County community of Blythe.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Blythe ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Big River [San Bernardino County]
- Inca [Riverside County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Inca
- Inca [Riverside County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Blythe
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Inca have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Inca
- Paymaster Landing [Imperial County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paymaster Landing
- Paymaster Landing [Imperial County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the south of Blythe
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paymaster Landing have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paymaster Landing
- Quartzsite [La Paz County]
- Styx [Riverside County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Styx
- Styx [Riverside County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the northwest of Blythe
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Styx have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Styx
How Far From Blythe to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Blythe to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Blythe and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Riverside, which is the Seat of Riverside County and lies 162 miles [260.7 km]<1> to the west. If you could drive a straight line from Blythe to Riverside, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- Sacramento, which is the State Capital of California, lies 514 miles [827.2 km] to the northwest (NW). Driving would take just over a day, a buggy would take 20 days and walking would take 30 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,107 miles [3,390.9 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 5 days, a buggy would take 83 days and walking would take 120 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,505 miles [12,078.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,272 miles [13,312.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 6,229 miles [10,024.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for California
About Riverside County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Blythe: www.cityofblythe.com/
The official website for Riverside County: www.co.riverside.ca.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Blythe) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Blythe. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Blythe
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Blythe. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.6140, Longitude: -114.5969
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Blythe could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Blythe to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.193 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.408 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 323.557 degrees.||