Welcome to Balls Ferry ...
So far, we have found very little information about Balls Ferry. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Balls Ferry to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Balls Ferry, please Contact Us.
Balls Ferry would have been located within present day Shasta County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Balls Ferry, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
Balls Ferry was established in 1868.
The origin (or the toponymy) of Balls Ferry: Named after William Wallace Ball, ferryman and the first postmaster.
Time Zone: The area where Balls Ferry was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Balls Ferry once stood is in the (530) area code.
Adding Balls Ferry to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Balls Ferry in the FIPS-55 file. For more information, see the Referenced FIPS Codes section on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Balls Ferry was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Balls Ferry on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Balls Ferry ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named Balls Ferry - they are located in Georgia and Ohio.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Balls Ferry.
Communities near Balls Ferry ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Balls Ferry.
- Redding [Shasta County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Redding
- Redding [Shasta County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the northwest of Balls Ferry
- Population from the 2020 Census: 92,456 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Redding
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Redding<5>
- Red Bluff [Tehama County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Bluff
- Red Bluff [Tehama County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the south of Balls Ferry
- Population from the 2020 Census: 14,121 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Bluff
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Red Bluff<5>
- Anderson [Shasta County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Anderson
- Anderson [Shasta County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the west of Balls Ferry
- Population from the 2020 Census: 10,565 people
- Former name for Anderson:
- American Ranch
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Anderson
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Anderson<5>
- Cottonwood [Shasta County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Fleaville [Shasta County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fleaville
- Fleaville [Shasta County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the northeast of Balls Ferry
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Fleaville. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Dales [Tehama County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dales
- Dales [Tehama County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the southeast of Balls Ferry
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dales
- Latona [Shasta County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Latona
- Latona [Shasta County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the northwest of Balls Ferry
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Latona. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Former name for Latona:
- New Town
- Millville [Shasta County]
- Pacheco [Shasta County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pacheco
- Pacheco [Shasta County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the northwest of Balls Ferry
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pacheco have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pacheco
- Hooker [Tehama County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hooker
- Hooker [Tehama County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the southwest of Balls Ferry
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hooker
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Balls Ferry. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Balls Ferry.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Balls Ferry. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Balls Ferry.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Balls Ferry. See our Newspapers Page for Balls Ferry.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of California
About Shasta County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Shasta County: www.co.shasta.ca.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Balls Ferry, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Shasta, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Balls Ferry) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Balls Ferry. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Balls FerryOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Balls Ferry. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 40.4171, Longitude: -122.1964 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|