Welcome to Alico ...
So far, we have found very little information about Alico. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Alico to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Alico, please Contact Us.
Alico would have been located within present day Inyo County<2>.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Alico is 3,670 feet [1,119 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Alico is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Alico was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Alico would have been located in the (760) & (442)<4> area codes.
Communities near Alico ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Alico.
- Boulder Creek [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Boulder Creek
- Boulder Creek [Inyo County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the west of Alico
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Boulder Creek
- Mount Whitney Station [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mount Whitney Station
- Mount Whitney Station [Inyo County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the northwest of Alico
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Mount Whitney Station. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Swansea [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Swansea
- Swansea [Inyo County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the southeast of Alico
- Swansea has also been known as:
- Swansea Landing
- Lone Pine Station [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lone Pine Station
- Lone Pine Station [Inyo County] was located 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the northwest of Alico
- Lone Pine Station has also been known as:
- Mount Whitney
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Lone Pine [Inyo County]
- Alabama Hills [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Alabama Hills
- Alabama Hills [Inyo County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the west of Alico
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alabama Hills
- Bartlett [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bartlett
- Bartlett [Inyo County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the southwest of Alico
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bartlett
- Keeler [Inyo County]
- Owenyo [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Owenyo
- Owenyo [Inyo County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the northwest of Alico
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Owenyo have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former name for Owenyo:
- New Owenyo
- Beveridge [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beveridge
- Beveridge [Inyo County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the north of Alico
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Alico. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Alico.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Alico. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Alico.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Alico. See our Newspapers Page for Alico.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within California
About Inyo County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Inyo County: www.inyocounty.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Alico, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Inyo, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Alico - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (442) is an overlay for area code (760).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Alico) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Alico. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AlicoOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alico. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 36.5697, Longitude: -117.9633 |
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|