Welcome to Aberdeen ...
Aberdeen is located just east of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, west of the White Mountains and at the north end of Owens Valley.
Aberdeen is located in Inyo County<1>.
When the people of Aberdeen refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Aberdonian<2>
We don't have a date for the establishment of Aberdeen.
Several communities named Aberdeen share the same reason for their choice of Aberdeen. We're speculating that it might apply here: Named after the city in Scotland.
Going back to its beginning, Aberdeen was originally named Tibbets. For more information about the names of Aberdeen, see The Names of Aberdeen on our Genealogy Page.
Aberdeen is 3,910 feet [1,192 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Aberdeen is ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Aberdeen lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Area codes for Aberdeen: (760) and (442)<4>
The ZIP code for Aberdeen: 93526<5>
Communities Also Named Aberdeen ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 33 communities that are also named Aberdeen - they are located in Arkansas (2), British Columbia (2), Colorado, Florida (2), Georgia (3), Idaho, Indiana (2), Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina (2), Nova Scotia, Ohio, Ontario (2), Pennsylvania (2), Saskatchewan, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Aberdeen.
Communities near Aberdeen ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Aberdeen.
- Fish Springs [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fish Springs
- Fish Springs [Inyo County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the north of Aberdeen
- Fish Springs has also been known as:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fish Springs
- Elna [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elna
- Elna [Inyo County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<6> to the north of Aberdeen
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elna have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Monola [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Monola
- Monola [Inyo County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<6> to the north of Aberdeen
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Monola have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- San Carlos [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for San Carlos
- San Carlos [Inyo County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<6> to the southeast of Aberdeen
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for San Carlos. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Bend City [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bend City
- Bend City [Inyo County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<6> to the southeast of Aberdeen
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Bend City. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Independence [Inyo County]
- Sage Flat [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sage Flat
- Sage Flat [Inyo County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<6> to the northwest of Aberdeen
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Sage Flat. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sage Flat
- Big Pine [Inyo County]
- Kearsarge [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kearsarge
- Kearsarge [Inyo County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<6> to the southeast of Aberdeen
- Former names for Kearsarge:
- Kearsarge Station
- Seven Pines [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seven Pines
- Seven Pines [Inyo County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<6> to the south of Aberdeen
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Aberdeen. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Aberdeen.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Aberdeen. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Aberdeen.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Aberdeen. See our Newspapers Page for Aberdeen.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Aberdeen ...
Looking for more information about Aberdeen? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Aberdeen, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Aberdeen.
Adding Aberdeen to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Aberdeen in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Aberdeen was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Aberdeen on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of California
About Inyo County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Aberdeen. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Inyo County: www.inyocounty.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Inyo, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Aberdeen refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Aberdeen may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Aberdeen - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (442) is an overlay for area code (760).|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Aberdeen). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Aberdeen or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Aberdeen) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Aberdeen. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AberdeenOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Aberdeen. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 36.9772, Longitude: -118.2548 |
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<9>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|