Our Genealogy Helper for Port Alberni ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Port Alberni (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Port Alberni. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Port Alberni ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Port Alberni: Prt. Alberni
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Port Alberni:
- Websites specific to British Columbia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for British Columbia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Stories from British Columbia
Cemeteries Near Port Alberni ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Port Alberni.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Port Alberni covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Alberni Valley Memorial Gardens
- Greenwood Cemetery
- St. Peter's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Peter's Cemetery
- St. Peter's Cemetery has also been known as:
- River Bend Cemetery
- River Bend RC Cemetery
- St. Peter's / River Bend Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Peter's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2414324<1>
- Qualicum Beach Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Qualicum Beach Cemetery
- Qualicum Beach Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the northeast of Port Alberni.
- Qualicum Beach Cemetery has also been known as:
- Qualicum Beach Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Qualicum Beach Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2314510<1>
- Denman Island Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Denman Island Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Denman Island Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Denman Island Cemetery lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the north of Port Alberni.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Denman Island Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2591114<1>
- Yates Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Yates Cemetery
- The Yates Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located less than 2 miles<2> to the northeast of Parksville.Yates Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km] to the east of Port Alberni.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yates Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2234497<1>
- Knox United Church Cemetery
- St. Anne's Anglican Church Cemetery
- Hornby Island Cemetery
- Cumberland Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Cumberland Cemetery
- Cumberland Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the north of Port Alberni.
- Cumberland Cemetery has also been known as:
- Cumberland Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cumberland Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Port Alberni. See our List of 1890's Communities around Port Alberni.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Port Alberni: www.city.port-alberni.bc.ca/
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Port Alberni) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Port Alberni. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Port AlberniOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Port Alberni. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.2381, Longitude: -124.7979 |
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|