Our Genealogy Helper for Fernie ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Fernie (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Fernie. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Fernie:
- Websites specific to British Columbia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for British Columbia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
- Stories from British Columbia
Cemeteries Near Fernie ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Fernie.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Fernie covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Fernie Cemetery
- East Fernie Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the East Fernie Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the East Fernie Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on East Fernie Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2516829<1>
- St. Margaret's Cemetery
- Elko Cemetery
- Elk Valley Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Elk Valley Cemetery
- Elk Valley Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the northeast of Fernie.
- Elk Valley Cemetery has also been known as:
- Elk Valley Sparwood Municipal Cemetery
- Michel Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elk Valley Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2455519<1>
- Elk Prairie Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Rivercrest Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Rivercrest Cemetery
- Rivercrest Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the northeast of Fernie.
- Rivercrest Cemetery has also been known as:
- Rivercrest - Sparwood Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rivercrest Cemetery
- Coleman Catholic Cemetery
- Coleman Union Cemetery
- Ft. Steele Cemetery
- St. Annes RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Annes RC Cemetery
- The St. Annes RC Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the north of Blairmore (AB).More accurately, St. Annes RC Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<3> to the east of Fernie.
- St. Annes RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- Blairmore Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Annes RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2316391<1>
- Blairmore Union Cemetery (New)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Blairmore Union Cemetery (New)
- The Blairmore Union Cemetery (New) is located outside and to the north of Blairmore (AB).More accurately, Blairmore Union Cemetery (New) lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<3> to the east of Fernie.
- Blairmore Union Cemetery (New) has also been known as:
- Miner's Union New Cemetery
- New Blairmore Union Cemetery
- New Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blairmore Union Cemetery (New)
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2445875<1>
- Blairmore Union Cemetery (Old)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Blairmore Union Cemetery (Old)
- The Blairmore Union Cemetery (Old) is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the northeast of Blairmore (AB).Blairmore Union Cemetery (Old) lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<3> to the east of Fernie.
- Blairmore Union Cemetery (Old) has also been known as:
- Blairmore Union Cemetery
- Old Blairmore Union Cemetery
- Old Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blairmore Union Cemetery (Old)
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2274934<1>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Fernie. See our List of 1890's Communities around Fernie.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Fernie ...
While our initial data about Fernie came from various goverment sources, we have found mention of Fernie in old books and maps. When we do, we'll find a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Fernie.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
Gulf Oil Map of British Columbia (1925)
Published by Gulf Refinish Company
for Fernie. See our Misc Page for Fernie for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within British Columbia
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Fernie: www.city.fernie.bc.ca/
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Fernie) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fernie. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from FernieOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fernie. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.5103, Longitude: -115.0622 |