Our Genealogy Helper for Ashton Creek ...
Although we found mention of Ashton Creek during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Ashton Creek was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Ashton Creek (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Ashton Creek. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Ashton Creek ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Ashton Creek: Ashton Crk. (or less commonly used: Ashton Ck. or Ashton Cr.)
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Ashton Creek:
- Websites specific to British Columbia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for British Columbia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from British Columbia
Cemeteries Near Ashton Creek ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Ashton Creek.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Ashton Creek covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Cliffside Cemetery
- Mara Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mara Cemetery
- Mara Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the north of Ashton Creek.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mara Cemetery
- Lansdowne Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lansdowne Cemetery
- Lansdowne Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the southwest of Ashton Creek.
- Lansdowne Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lansdown Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lansdowne Cemetery
- Armstrong Spallumcheen Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Armstrong Spallumcheen Cemetery
- Armstrong Spallumcheen Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Ashton Creek.
- Armstrong Spallumcheen Cemetery has also been known as:
- Armstrong Cemetery
- Armstrong Municipal Cemetery
- Armstrong / Spallumcheen Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Armstrong Spallumcheen Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2271558<2>
- Hullcar Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hullcar Cemetery
- Hullcar Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the west of Ashton Creek.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hullcar Cemetery
- G.S. Pelly Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the G.S. Pelly Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the G.S. Pelly Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- G.S. Pelly Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Ashton Creek.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on G.S. Pelly Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Mt. Ida Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mt. Ida Cemetery
- Mt. Ida Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<3> to the northwest of Ashton Creek.
- Mt. Ida Cemetery has also been known as:
- Salmon Arm Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mt. Ida Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2228240<2>
- Grandview Flats Memorial Gardens
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Grandview Flats Memorial Gardens
- Grandview Flats Memorial Gardens lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the southwest of Ashton Creek.
- Grandview Flats Memorial Gardens has also been known as:
- Grandview Flats / Seven Day Adventist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grandview Flats Memorial Gardens
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2235019<2>
- Lumby Cemetery
- Vernon Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Vernon Cemetery
- Vernon Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the southwest of Ashton Creek.
- Vernon Cemetery has also been known as:
- Pleasant Valley Cemetery
- Vernon Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vernon Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2210182<2>
- Tappen Cemetery
- Falkland Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Falkland Pioneer Cemetery
- Falkland Pioneer Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<3> to the west of Ashton Creek.
- Falkland Pioneer Cemetery has also been known as:
- Bell Family Cemetery
- Glenemma Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Falkland Pioneer Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2665636<2>
- Eagle Valley & District Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Eagle Valley & District Cemetery
- Eagle Valley & District Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<3> to the north of Ashton Creek.
- Eagle Valley & District Cemetery has also been known as:
- Solsqua - Cambie Cemetery
- Solsqua Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eagle Valley & District Cemetery
- Falkland Cemetery
- Coldstream Municipal Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Ashton Creek. See our List of 1890's Communities around Ashton Creek.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in British Columbia
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Ashton Creek and then turned east". While Ashton Creek could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Ashton Creek as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Ashton Creek could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another British Columbia community named Ashton Creek.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Ashton Creek) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ashton Creek. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.5500, Longitude: -119.0167
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|