Welcome to Vernon ...
The city of Vernon was established in 1892.
Vernon is 1,360 feet [415 m] above sea level.<1>.
Time Zone: Vernon lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: PST- Heure Normale du Pacifique (HNP), PDT- Heure Avancée du Pacifique (HAP).
Telephone area codes for Vernon: (250) and (778)<2>
The Canadian Postal Codes for Vernon: V1B, V1H, V1T<3>
Websites for Vernon ...
Official Website: www.vernon.ca/
Chamber of Commerce: www.vernonchamber.ca/
Adding Vernon to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Vernon was on a map titled Map of British Columbia (from Gulf Refining, 1925).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Vernon on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Vernon ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 49 communities that are also named Vernon - they are located in Alabama, Arizona, California (2), Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida (2), Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana (2), Iowa (2), Kansas (5), Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi (3), Nevada, New Jersey (2), New Mexico, New York, Ohio (3), Oklahoma, Ontario, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Vernon.
Communities near Vernon ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Vernon.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lumby
- Lumby lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the east of Vernon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lumby came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lumby
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lumby<5>
- Salmon River 1
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salmon River 1
- Salmon River 1 lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the north of Vernon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Salmon River 1 came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salmon River 1
- Okanagan Landing
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Okanagan Landing
- Okanagan Landing lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the southwest of Vernon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Okanagan Landing came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Okanagan Landing
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coldstream
- Coldstream lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the southeast of Vernon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Coldstream came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coldstream
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lavington
- Lavington lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the east of Vernon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lavington came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lavington
- Pixie Beach
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pixie Beach
- Pixie Beach lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the southwest of Vernon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pixie Beach
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nahun
- Nahun lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the southwest of Vernon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nahun
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Woodsdale
- Woodsdale lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the south of Vernon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Woodsdale
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Vernon ...
Looking for more information about Vernon? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Vernon, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Vernon.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within British Columbia
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Vernon: www.vernon.ca/
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Vernon - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (778) is an overlay for area code (250).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Vernon, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Vernon). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Vernon or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Vernon) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Vernon. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from VernonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Vernon. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.2705, Longitude: -119.2741 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|